Disassembling the speedo, a bitch or no?

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has any experience disassembling the speedometer and if it's a nightmare or not. Lol, I wouldn't even know where to start. Thanks :)

Dave

I have taken apart the speedo and tach off a 72 XS2. Took me a combination of 3-4 units to build a good set. Not sure what year you have but you just got to look at it for a while to see how it was built. Some have crimped bands on them. You can usually pry these off very carefully to gain access to the inside.

I just hack saw the crimped band off to gain access and then reassemble it using 4" heat shrink tubing.

Next time you have to take your Tach or Speedo apart, throw away the metal loop that holds the bezel on and use a piece of 4" heat shrink tubing instead.

Use a hack saw to saw the bezel in two opposite places and remove it.

1. Buy a one foot section of 4" heat shrink tubing.
2. Cut a 15/16 in strip of tubing from the one foot section.
3. Prop the Speedo / Tach face down on a .31 in high round "thing". I used a lid from a small jar of "Dromedary Diced Pimientos" (upside down to accommodate the slight curve in the glass)
4. Place the 15/16 in strip of heat shrink around the bezel.
5. Apply heat from a heat gun evenly all the way around.

drape.jpg

(Don't pay attention to the mug with the Golden on it. :wtf: That's her food cup. The wine is there to reduce the stress from owning a Golden...:banghead: The Tums are there to reduce the stress from the wine...:D

heatshrink3.jpg

Here is a front view:

shrink.jpg

Notes: The .31 dimension is from the front edge of the bezel to the work surface, with the tach / speedo face down on a suitable prop. You have to allow for the slight curve of the glass. If done exactly, there is no trimming required. A lid from a small jar of "Dromedary Diced Pimientos" works perfectly because it forms a cup to keep the glass curve from wobbling when you apply the heat.

There is enough material in the 1' length of 4" heat shrink material to do 12 Tachs or Speedos, so share with your buddy.

Thats a good idea. I think the the early units a little different. It's been a few years since I had them apart though.

lol, I have a 79, and as with many things on this bike, seems I've failed even before I've begun :) I tried simply removing the two side acorn nuts to get the chrome cover off. No go. One comes off, but one rotates "chunkily" if you will in it's hole, the nut won't budge because the screw is rotating. Sigh. I was just going to open it up to clean up or refurb the face anyway. I'm pretty sure it works, so no big deal I guess. Just wish I could get in there lol. Thanks for the advice though :)

Dave

It's actually surprisingly easy to remove the crimped band; no need to cut it and replace it with something else. It took me about half an hour to get apart and ten minutes to get back together. The trick is to use a medium sized bent screwdriver as a tool. And to do it progressively using several easy passes.

http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/660/

I use a large hose clamp around the speedo/tach to hold its form while prying out the lip.
I've repaired quite a few of them with no re-assembly problems.

Not trying to thread jack .. but I always see the speedo that pegs @ 85 I have 2 .. but I also have one that tops @ 145 whats up with that ?

^During Nixon's national 55mph speed limit cars were like that as well. Note the 55 is in red. It must have been govt-mandated.

One time when I was getting gas a mentally challenged guy came up and started talking about my 85mph speedo, saying it was from some other bike, a slower one. I explained the whole thing and he listened, and then I was surprised he still was convinced it came off some slower bike.

Wow, I'll try pulling out on that bolt while unscrewing it. And thanks for all the pics guys, IMMENSELY helpful :)

Dave

If the bolt has broken off its mount inside you might have to split the nut with a nut splitter or Dremel tool. You might be able to fix it back with a screw through the plastic with two wide washers to distribute the force and a lock nut against the outside washer. Cant recall what it looks like in there really. Then dremel to the right length. Dremel is a most useful tool. I don't use it that frequently, but when I do it's about the only thing that will do the job and it always goes well.

Not trying to thread jack .. but I always see the speedo that pegs @ 85 I have 2 .. but I also have one that tops @ 145 whats up with that ?

LOL I must be getting old. I forget that the younger crowd doesn't know about the mandated 55 MPH. You wana know how long and boring the trips out west were at 55. My 80 Goldwing had the 55 red line. The bike was also geared a little different I believe.

So if it was mandated 55 (I new that this existed Hence the red 55 on most older car speedos) .. why does it go to 85 ? any comfirmation on the different gearing ?

The XS650 had the same ratios from 1969 to 1983 IIRC.

Wikipedia said:
On September 1, 1979, in a regulation that also regulated speedometer and odometer accuracy, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) required speedometers to have special emphasis on the number 55 and a maximum speed of 85 mph (137 km/h). However, on October 22, 1981, NHTSA proposed eliminating speedometer and odometer rules because they were "unlikely to yield significant safety benefits" and "[a] highlighted '55' on a speedometer scale adds little to the information provided to the driver by a roadside speed limit sign.

Gentleman- the plastic body of these gauges are made of a plastic called acetal. It contains formaldehyde. When heated to melting it gives off harmful vapors. Not deadly when dealing with a tach or speedo but it can irritate your eyes for the remainder of the evening. I used a die grinder with a tiny thin carbide wheel and cut notches in the rear of the crimped metal ring. The cutter would cut into the plastic body and the vapors would go straight up- into my face. I placed a fan on the bench to blow away any fumes. Reading this post I will do it differently next time. I did repair my ring with bondo primer and paint after I reinstalled it and it looks great.

The early bikes had a speedo that read 140 mph. They used a 120 for a couple years, 78-79 I think or was it 76-77, one or the other. They then went to the 85 mph for the rest of the years.
Leo

anyone know the gearing ratio on them? My understanding they are pretty standard across the board. I bought a replacement one. It says the ratio was 1 to 1 with 1000rpm being 60 mph. Does this sound at all right or should i be putting this speedo on ebay?

Back