Do you oil stock 1977 air filters

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be receiving a pair of stock 1977 air filters from 650central today. Should I apply air filter oil? I've seen other posts regarding later year air filters that appear to be foam but do not require oiling so I wanted to be careful here.

Best,
Adam

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but this is the one I found using the search function.

I have a 1975 XS650B. I have two (2) Genuine Yamaha air filters (purchased in 2004). They're part number 533-14451-00 which are a later type used on the 1977 XS650D. (and maybe others?)

I've already been told (and it made sense) that I could use these filters in my stock air box. I purchased the correct spring clips and was installing them tonight.....and I got to wondering if I'm supposed to oil these filters.

This thread is a little bit confussing.....the first reply says NO. But the second reply says something about not oiling paper filters. These filters I have, use some type of foam.

I don't have an owners manual or work shop manual for the 1977 and the 1975 workshop manual I have shows a removable foam filter that's being oiled.

I'm confussed :confused:........any help out there?

Do I oil air filters part number 533-14451-00? (purchased in 2004 and the boxes don't look like they sat around for 40 years..)

Sorry for the lame questions.....I'm learning....it's just taking some time to get the hang of it all.

Gordon in NC

I have a tough time believing that any air that passes thru a foam filter has anything left in it that would harm the motor.

Well, I've been doing some more reading and found where gggGary mentions "mouse hair" in describing the 77, 78 filters.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So I go back down to the shop and have a closer look at my filters and yep.....the filter material looks a LOT more like mouse hair than foam.

I'm going to blame that on these old eyes and my reluctance to get those much needed new pair of glasses.....getting old isn't for sissies.

Still would like to know if they get oiled.

Weasel, I have a friend that owns and rides a Velo and it's carbs came stock with only bell mouths on them. You outa hear it swallow water when its raining...:eek:....but that bike has been around since 1967 and it's still kicking (pun intended)

Take care....Gordon in NC

Thanks for the link Tony. I have a paper copy of the XS650B workshop manual and a digital copy of the parts manual off of several sites. I just couldn't find the answer I was looking for, for the 77.

BUT...ya don't have to know EVERYTHING....you just have to know the people that DO.:laugh:

My XS mentor Ms Barb set me straight on oiling those filters....she says NO OIL.

Great, that's just what this thread was about and this helps to confirm it for those of us that didn't know.

I have a LOT to learn but I'm picking it up as fast as I can.

This weekend......I'm going to try and ride this thing come hell or high water. :bike:

I'm on the short list now.....mouse hair....:laugh:...I'll never forget that one, Gordon

- - - So I go back down to the shop and have a closer look at my filters and yep.....the filter material looks a LOT more like mouse hair than foam. - - - Weasel, I have a friend that owns and rides a Velo and it's carbs came stock with only bell mouths on them. You outa hear it swallow water when its raining...:eek:....but that bike has been around since 1967 and it's still kicking (pun intended) - - -

Hi Gordon,
I guess mouse hair kinda describes it although the filter surface on my '83 looks more like someone skinned a teddy bear to get it.
And yeah, none of my old Britbikes had air filters either but rainwater ain't the only thing that goes down those air bells.
Back in the UK when they still had gas attendants a BSA Gold Star rider asked the pump jockey filling his tank to put a half-pint of Castrol XXL into the oil tank.
Digging for his billfold he turned around to see the lad pouring the oil down the Goldie's carb intake.

Hi Gordon,
I guess mouse hair kinda describes it although the filter surface on my '83 looks more like someone skinned a teddy bear to get it.
And yeah, none of my old Britbikes had air filters either but rainwater ain't the only thing that goes down those air bells.
Back in the UK when they still had gas attendants a BSA Gold Star rider asked the pump jockey filling his tank to put a half-pint of Castrol XXL into the oil tank.
Digging for his billfold he turned around to see the lad pouring the oil down the Goldie's carb intake.

That's funny Fred, I can just see the look on the riders face.:laugh:

Times have changed....but honestly IMO...motorcycles haven't changed that much. My 93 year old dad still swears they runied motorcycles when they put swingarms on em.

Take care, Gordon in NC

1975 XS650B it's a runner
and a few BSA unit singles...all with air filters

My 93 year old dad still swears they ruined motorcycles when they put swingarms on em. - - -

Hi Gordon,
well, the swingarm was the last straw but the rot was well in by the time the sissies put front brakes on them although I reckon the start of the ruination was the first coward who installed a transmission.

... the swingarm was the last straw but the rot was well in by the time the sissies put front brakes on them although I reckon the start of the ruination was the first coward who installed a transmission.

Fred's right. We need to get back to our roots.

oldchopper2.jpg

Back