Do you wave or nod? Or not?

XSNate

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Why do moto riders feel the need to wave to very bike they pass another bike? I would like to hear about wether you wave or not? Why do some do it and some do not.

Personally I nod, but not all of the time. I guess I "pre judge" some folks? I do seem to have a problem with yuppy HD riders who have never picked up a wrench or think they can just buy into a certain cool status by having a expensive bike and the t shirt and the boots jeans hat and probably underwear.

Sometimes I'm in a turn or doing something I don't want to take my hand off the bars.

I'll waive back............unless clutch work is involved.....then I'll nod....

People in cars dont waive at eachother....Likely because they dont recongize the danger their in. We understand the peril we put ourselves in every time we ride and we do it anyway. Each ride could be our last.

Maybe its not a waive........

Maybe its a salute....

Some people do not like to take their hands off the bars which is understandable, If I get a wave when i'm mid shift i'll usually nod, other than that i'll throw a hand to the lowside. I do it to everybody, two wheels are two wheels. Some people don't throw them at scooters, but the way I see it, some people just don't want/can't handle a motorcycle but want the freedom, so they get a wave. Usually Harleys won't wave back, or do anything back, so my hand to the low side becomes a middle finger to the low side.

I'll waive back............unless clutch work is involved.....then I'll nod....

People in cars dont waive at eachother....Likely because they dont recongize the danger their in. We understand the peril we put ourselves in every time we ride and we do it anyway. Each ride could be our last.

Maybe its not a waive........

Maybe its a salute....

I have to agree with this, most definitely a salute :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Usually nod. Im so guilty of not paying any attention to sport bike riders. Stupid bikes, in a province thats completely flat with straight as shit pot holed roads....dont tell me you didnt buy it to be cool. They ride for iced cream....in shorts and t shirt. Most you see for sale here are barely broken in. Low low k. I cant even stand it when they say they have a bike and its a sport bike. Yes....i did own a shiny beautiul red ducati 999 for a season. Worst purchase i ever made. Sport bikes are the epitome of fairweather riders here. Worse than my old neighbour with his fatboy that rarely came out of the garage.
Posted via Mobile

It depends on my mood and if it easy to take my hand off the bars at the time. Lately I've been waiting for them to wave first. I feel like a dork when I wave and don't get one back. I don't know what it's like in your neck in the woods, but the wave here is the two fingers down, meaning keep two tires on the road (aka ride safe).

I totally get what your saying though about the different kinds of bikers.

The guys who ride European bikes (BMWs, Triumps, ect.) or dual sport bikes seem to wave or nod. Some sport bike riders, the Cruiser crown is mixed. The old timers will, probably because they know a cool vintage bike when they see it, american or not. But those yuppy HD guys, more than half the time not. Like they are too cool or something. And they always looks so serious. I don't get it, riding a bike is fun, it's OK to smile. Yeah, when I see a biker in all new clean leathers and a shiny Harley, all I think is they have a credit card and know how to spend money.

Its a gesture of respect, granted to those on two wheels.

Ever looked straight at a driver in a van, truck or car, had them look straight back and pull out in front of you at seemingly the last minute anyway like you weren't even there?

I always kindof figured it was like this, to them we're invisible, only we see each other, and as a gesture of respect for those we share the road with a acknowledgement.

The gesture itself isn't that important, its the acknowledgement. so yeah, I might wave, or nod, and I'll do this even for the old guy on the vespa-like scooter. Two wheels, still counts.

But those yuppy HD guys, more than half the time not. Like they are too cool or something. And they always looks so serious. I don't get it, riding a bike is fun, it's OK to smile. Yeah, when I see a biker in all new clean leathers and a shiny Harley, all I think is they have a credit card and know how to spend money.

If they're fresh riders on a full sized big twin trying to make it through a mid life crisis, or make up for lost time, they're going to look serious and not want to take their hands off the controls. They're probably green riders on a bike that is more than they can comfortably handle.

Have a little pity :laugh: they might be scared.

If you are on 2 wheels you get my respect and I'll acknowledge you by giving the down low "salute." No reciprocation doesnt bother me. I know what riding means to me and maybe my wave of respect will make a squid think twice.

Ya learn something everyday. I never knew there was a significance to how many fingers you held up or out. I guess the last gesture I knew the meaning of was the "raised fist of brotherhood" popular in the '70s. Sure don't see that anymore.

30-40 yrs ago you could ride all day sometimes(in the midwest) and not see another bike. Naturally when you did pass one, you waved.

On the other side the coin (being from W. Oklahoma) driving a bike, car, truck, or tractor you at least raised your index finger(if not a full on wave) to acknowledge a passing vehicle.
When we moved to MO it was a wonder to my sons friends that he would raise a hand(from habit) to a passing car as they were walking. "You know them?" they would ask. "Nope but it don't hurt to be friendly" was the answer.

Nowdays there are just so damn many. On the Dragon, the Pigtail, or the Twisted Sisters
and all the places getting to those points it is hard to "just be friendly" every time.

Why do moto riders feel the need to wave to very bike they pass another bike? I would like to hear about wether you wave or not? Why do some do it and some do not.

Personally I nod, but not all of the time. I guess I "pre judge" some folks? I do seem to have a problem with yuppy HD riders who have never picked up a wrench or think they can just buy into a certain cool status by having a expensive bike and the t shirt and the boots jeans hat and probably underwear.

Sometimes I'm in a turn or doing something I don't want to take my hand off the bars.

All of us HD riders are not yuppies. I started on a 1967 Honda CL77. Look it up. I currently own a HD RoadGlide Custom,Triumph Bonneville Black, and the XS650 project. 20+ Kawi's,a few Honda's and Zuk's in bewtween. I wave or nod at all riders regardless of what they are on. Have done that since the beginning. It is just a way of acknowledging the fellow rider. I won't wave if I'm in heavy traffic of feel it is not a safe time to do so.

I'm with you guys. I only nod, but I nod at ALL two wheels, be it a scooter, HD, Sportsbike, I don't care! We are of the same creed, two wheels equals freedom! Some spend big on bikes, some don't. I nod, regardless of what they ride, because you "see" a lot more bikes if you are on one, acknowledging them makes you and them feel like they belong!

Ride safe!! And enjoy!!

I wave if I'm not occupied with clutch or twisties. Down low peace sign usually. I wave to sport bikes, cruisers, touring bikes, dual sports - almost all wave back. I do not wave to e-bikes and scooter riders (just my personal issue LOL).

I grew up with the raised fist as a sign of brotherhood. I think it feel out of favor when the Black Panthers started using it.
Even without the fist we are all still in the brotherhood, even the ladies who ride.
I wave out of respect for this brotherhood. As a sign of solidarity to my fellow riders. It lets us know we are not alone.
I wave to everybody on two wheels. I don't try to drag my fingers on the road to do it like some I see.
As others said if my hand is busy they get the nod.
Leo

Motorcycles and motorcycle riders are an endangered species. There is some sort of legislation or rule making being done every day to limit or restrict our freedom to ride, so we have to stick together and be prepared to resist these affronts on our freedom, so to me the salute or nod is an acknowledgement that we share the road and the freedom to ride, as well as the onslaught of those who would deny us our rights.

I wave out of respect for this brotherhood. As a sign of solidarity to my fellow riders. It lets us know we are not alone.
I wave to everybody on two wheels. I don't try to drag my fingers on the road to do it like some I see.
As others said if my hand is busy they get the nod.
Leo

yep. +1 on that

Back