Dodged a bullet...

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I decided to upgrade the suspension on the FJ. The stock setup is a couple of lightyears better than the old six-fiddy, but all the Cool Guys rave about how much better it is when tuned to the rider's weight.

Mostly, it's the usual problem with Japanese motorcycles. They come sprung for 150-ish pound riders. They can't seem to grasp what a bunch of fat-asses we are over here.

And to be honest, it DOES bottom pretty hard over any significant bumps, of which there are many around here. So, I sprung (arrrrrrr...humor!) for an upgrade kit matched to my riding weight - heavier springs and re-valved cartridges.The kit is basically a drop-in.

Bought the tool kit for inverted forks with the spring compressor and the long-reach allens to get to the bottom bolt and a few other doo-dads, pulled the left fork off the bike (the internals are different from left to right) and got it apart after firing up my lathe to make a tool that I was too cheap to buy which holds the cartridge while you remove the bolt that holds it into the fork leg.

All good...start to put it back together and...whoops...what's this part? Didn't see anything like it when I took the old cartridge out?

Checked around online and turns out that it's a spacer that goes under the new cartridge. Got a machined recess in one side so it fits up over the bottom of the cartridge. Ah, okay.

Take the cartridge back out of the fork leg to install the spacer and...huh...doesn't fit...what the??? Saaaayyyyy, you don't suppose...

Went in the other room and got the "old" cartridge (which has to go back to the seller as a core) and...well I'll be damned...fits fine on this one. Wadeaminnit...this cartridge is all dry and shiny. The one I'm putting back in the fork tube is all oily...DOH!

I'm a dumbass. Got them mixed up and was putting the old cartridge right back in the fork. I'd have been seriously pissed if I'd gotten everything together before I discovered that.

It sure is easy to mix things up when you’ve got parts all over the bench. And I’ll bet those forks are a wee bit more complex than our old Yamahas!

I'm a dumbass. Got them mixed up and was putting the old cartridge right back in the fork.
Well I've never done that before.....:rolleyes:
Pulled a mach warning switch out of a jet once..... laying on my back (only way to reach it)..... in Fla.... in the summer. Took 2hrs. Set it down next to the new switch ( I betcha can see where this is goin';)). Extricated myself from the hole I was in...... went and had a smoke and a coke.... wormed my way back into the airplane.... picked up the same damn switch (right next to the new one), and installed it. Failed to test.... jus' like before I removed it. Sonofabitch.... 5hr. job took me 10hrs.
Who needs organization....

And I’ll bet those forks are a wee bit more complex than our old Yamahas!

Maybe just a bit... :yikes:

One reason I bought the drop-in kit rather than the cheaper DIY kit. Taking the fork apart was a pain but relatively simple. Taking the cartridge apart and re-doing the shim stack looked like a HUGE pain in the ass from the videos I checked out. Everything held together with red loctite for one thing...

Well, poop. Just checked the FJ site and the outfit that sold me the kit responded to my post about the spacer.

The first guy that responded meant well, but got it a little bit wrong. Seems the spacer fits several bikes and can go in either side up, depending on the bike. Of course, mine goes the OTHER way up so I get to take that fork apart again. I'm getting real good at this...

My similar experience involves lapping the valves. I labelled the valves clearly, turned the head over and started. A couple of minutes later realized that in flipping the head over left and right swapped positions. Accidentally did this twice the same day so had to paint big friendly Ls and Rs on everything. I blame tiredness!

Back