dowel pins on right cover

youngandlearning

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had my left and right engine covers removed to get chromed and they ended up chroming my dowel pins also. because of this the pins were to big to fit in their holes so I removed them. Can anyone tell me if I HAVE to put them back in or can I put the cover back on with out them? thanks

Those pins properly align the covers to the cases. On the left that isn't as big a problem on the right. The right side holds oil. Misalignment can let oil leak. I might send the pins back and tell them to dechrome them.
Leo

thanks Leo after reading that I used a dremel to remove the chrome and reinstalled them on the right cover, thanks for the help! ALSO Leo what can you tell me about "sealing washers" on the bottom bolts? I've read where some people use them some people don't, i've got new gaskets so im wondering if I can get away without them?

You might or might not. Those sealing washers go on the four bolts below the oil level. They don't take much time or effort to install and will help prevent leaks, so why not use them?
Leo

the one at the front bottom on the right is actually a channel for the oil pump. I had a big bad leak before when I forgot to put that dowel back in.

Back