Drive Chain

I've used EK and RK chains, work well. I've heard good things about DID chain for older bikes as well. I just purchased an o ring chain by Izumi, who make excellent bicycle chains, verdict is still out on this one.

wow I did something so dumb tonight. Not sure how it happened. Somehow, in pushing a pin out with chain breaker tool, the ROLLER for that link went missing, so now I ruined a link, and my chain is now too short by ONE link, (since I ruined the last link). I had made it the length so it would just fit in the forward-most position of axle.

I do have an extra link (several actually, as I shortened a 126 link chain).

Question: Could I remove the bad link and make up the diff with one extra whole link I have here, plus TWO master links? like go end of chain, master link, whole link, master link, finally to the other end of chain? or would that just make the whole deal too weak?
The chain is new, but it is an el cheapo that I planned on replacing anyway, along with sprockets if I like the bike once I'm done.

I have no clue what happened to that roller on the end I drove the pin out of.
:confused:

sheesh....I mean it was a cheap chain, but still I really hate to waste the $$.

thx ....

Last edited:
Aunty, you could do that, but it would be better if you used the rivet type master links. I don't think the strength of the chain will be comprimised, as the master links are suppose to be the same strength as the chain.:banghead:
You got Gremmlin's, do not feed them after midnite, & definately don't get 'em wet!!!:laugh::wink2:

I have to agree....if you're stuck you could nurse it around on two master links...as long as they are in good shape. but you should be on the look out for the replacement roller that you have now. I lost two of those atu timing advance set pins on my garage floor and still havent found them.... ;)

Hmm I bought it by the foot and cut it to length... So not sure. I just used tractor chain. I used them for dirtbikes, four wheelers, go carts and tractors growing up and they always seemed to work out fine. Don't take my word for it though. I will probably get flamed for doing so!! :bike:

got chain on with 2 master links. Nice and taut, but axle has to be almost all the way back in order not to have visible slack. Maybe when it gets to the point that it can't be adjusted anymore, by then I can remove a link and slide the axle up where I want it. Thanks again for the help.
:)

I plan on running an 18 tooth drive sprocket and wonder if some brands of chain will give me more tolerance between the chain and the guide.

- 520 chain pretty much has the same pitch and height as 530 chain, but is narrower
pitch...5/8​
width...520-1/4, 530-3/8​
roller dia...0.40in​

- the conversion argument revolves around weight reduction wrt the 520 chain and a perceived small gain in HP, against increased wear through using a lighter chain

- a modification from goran persson involves replacing the gear shift protector/chain guide with a self produced bearing moly nylon spacer, which reduces chain rattle, by making one slightly thinner its possible to gain a little more space perhaps

2007-10-22Wiring01.jpg

2004-10-09GearShifterProtector01.jpg

2004-12-04GearShifterProtector.jpg

- a potential problem with larger front sprockets is clutch push rod clearance

2003-12-30GearShifterProtector3.jpg

- ive known people to convert to right hand side pull operation clutches and rhs gear shifts in order to remove problems associated with using larger front sprockets...kind of extreme though

230004b.jpg

tracker14_small1.jpg

Thanks for those great pics. My goal is to get more chain clearance over the swingarm pivot. I want to go 18 - 36 but I'm a little leary of problems with the front sprocket. I may be going with a longer swingarm so it would be a good time for a new chain and sprockets.

- a modification from goran persson involves replacing the gear shift protector/chain guide with a self produced bearing moly nylon spacer, which reduces chain rattle, by making one slightly thinner its possible to gain a little more space perhaps

2004-10-09GearShifterProtector01.jpg
Ooooooooouuuuu!!! Pretty! Is anyone making these for general consumption?

Not sure I understand what is wrong with grinding some of the shift shaft off under the chain.......I did that 10 years ago and have had no problems.............?

xsjohn

Ooooooooouuuuu!!! Pretty! Is anyone making these for general consumption?

- be easy enough to make with a bit of, say, vesconite or similar rod, an electric drill, a chisel and fine file

Last edited:
Hm. I feel kinda silly ordering a single rod from the manufacturer. Is there anywhere typical locally i could find it? Like a local Vesconite and Taco stand? :D

Back