Drive Sprocket Nut Torque for SH

wherearewe

Rub on Ya Titties
Reaction score
Hi guys

I need to know the torque value for the front sprocket. My SH supplementary manual specs 47 lbf ft. In the back of my mind i thought it was up near 80, so i got out my Haynes manual & sure enough it specs:

XS650 UK - 79
XS650D US - 72-87 (so about 80)
XS650E US - 36
XS650SE,F,G,H,SH,SJ,SK - 47

I guess my question is why the large variation? :shrug: What do you gurus here run in your experience. Ive set it to 47 for now.

I'm in the damned tight corner. Normally I use a 36mm socket on my cheap 1/2" Air wrench turned up all the way and call it good. :shrug: IMHO more critical is getting the slots in the washer lined up correctly, that often takes a bit of fiddling.

Ive set it to 47 for now.

47 will do the job if it will stay there. On my '81 I have been putting a couple of drops of blue on it and cranking it to 80. That would hold it for a few months. The tube of blue was about 10 years old. I recently got a new tube of blue and did the same thing and now it's stuck! I wanted to change the collar behind it to a non-pitted one. So next time I might go 47 with a couple drops of the new blue.

The point of all that being with good locktite I think it might not loosen on its own.

Last edited:
Back