Valve clearances and model type?

xsgeoff

XS650 Greenhorn
Reaction score
Hey all, another noob question about setting my valve clearances.

I have the Haynes manual for the XS, and it gives a bunch of different values for the inlet valve clearance:

XS650 (UK), XS650 D (US) --> 0.05mm
XS650 E and SE (US) --> 0.10mm
XS650 SE (UK), XS650 F, G, H, SF, 2F, SG, SH, SJ, SK (US) --> 0.06mm

Problem is, I don't know what exactly my bike is, so I don't know the proper clearance.
I know it is a 447 based on the serial number, but I am not even entirely sure of the year. The bike has a "first registered" date of 1984, but the PO gave me a 1981 Owner's Manual when I bought it. And it has points ignition, which I thought was phased out after 1979.

Cheers!

.10mm intake (.004") .15mm (.006") exhaust for all but the early engines. Always a good idea to loosen the adjuster and look at the faces of adjuster and the end of the valve, if they are pitted chipped and gauled accurate setting is all but impossible.

I think places other than here in the US kept the points after 79. I'm not sure just how long.
Using the frame number and engine numbers, they matched from the factory, and looking at one of the charts to tell model year by frame number will tell you the year and model. There is a very long thread about this very thing.
Leo

Back