Dual sport advice.

thanks, 1974jh5. based on what you wrote, seems like the xr650l would be something i should keep an eye out for. although, the dr400 sounds like a lot of fun, and i really doubt i'll be doing that much high speed riding.

I want to pick up a dual sport, don't know anything about them really. would like to get something big enough for highway stints, but nimble enough to zip aroung the woods. advice?

That can be construed as kind of a broad question, I have a 09 KTM 530 EXC that I have done highway stints on but I race it in Harescrambles as well as lots of woods riding (my XS650 is fairly new to me with one season on it so far).

I would ask, what is your skill level offroad? Do you have others that you would be riding with at your skill level? What are they riding? If you intend to ride more so on your own, I would definitely suggest the KLR 650 for an all around dual sport, people have said it is the quintessential dual sport bike. Me, I've ridden dirt bikes, almost all of them two strokes, for 35 plus years. My 530 was my first real 'dual sport' four stroke.

To me "nimble"is anything around the 450cc four stroke range or 300cc two stroke range. You might be better off talking to people that know you, your likes, your skill level, your ability to turn wrenches, etc, to help you find the best bike that will fit you and make you happy.

If money is a factor, start looking in the ranges you can afford and start doing research on those bikes to find the one that would suit you best.

+1 for the KLR - there are some very worthwhile mods if you do go down this route, not least the infamous "doohickey" mod!
Here's mine - it's actually an ex US serices model that came to me via a US air base here in UK. The bash plate was still full of sand, it had anti-radar paint and an override switch that has 3 positions: Lights, Off and Infra-red, indicators removed, tail-light lens painted black! I got it registered for UK roads (that was a whole saga in itself). I love it!

{klr} Resized.jpg

Last edited:
+1 for the KLR - there are some very worthwhile mods if you do go down this route, not least the infamous "doohickey" mod!
Here's mine - it's actually an ex US serices model that came to me via a US air base here in UK. The bash plate was still full of sand, it had anti-radar paint and an override switch that has 3 positions: Lights, Off and Infra-red, indicators removed, tail-light lens painted black! I got it registered for UK roads (that was a whole saga in itself). I love it!

View attachment 12715

Just be careful, its not a spy bike planted in the general population, to track the travels of citizens. Check for any strange black boxes. Even as I write this, satelites may be tracking your every move.:D

Those diesel klr's are the holy grail of the Kawasaki-based dualsport world! As far as I know none have made thief way into civilian hands.
Can't imagine what they would sound like?!

1974jh5 - gotta love that seat! Don't tell me that's not a touch of repressed military chic camp-design bike-lust going on right there...

Last edited:
mcqueen-rickman.jpg

No, it's not an XS650. It's a Rickman Triumph which is an authorized reproduction of one that was owned by Steve McQueen. Even has his signature. Yeah, I could see doing an XS like this and hanging lights on it... and as I understand it the frames are available for an XS. Not cheap.

http://www.metisse-motorcycles.com/

Those diesel klr's are the holy grail of the Kawasaki-based dualsport world! As far as I know none have made thief way into civilian hands.
Can't imagine what they would sound like?!

I heard one at VMD at Mid-Ohio and it sounded like a coffee can full of rocks.

+1 on KLR or DRZ. DRZ is better offroad, KLR is a better streetbike.

I have owned tw0 klr's and were worth every penny. Yes theyare a little tall but you cam wear thicker soled boots. 6 gallom tank.

Back