Dual sport advice.

This past year I put 17k miles on this 04 klr then bought the xr400 and took it on a three week ride to Mexico, up to Sturgis and back home to the northwest. Both inexpensive and dependable fun dual sports but very different in function.

My suggestion is to try to decide how much highway versus how much dirt you think you'll ride. My next bike will be a plated xr650r

May12012012.jpg

newipod056.jpg

I bought that old xr off craigslist on a total impulse for $1500, I'm 57 and the last dirt bike I bought was a Bultaco in the 70's

I almost passed on it because I haven't kick started a bike in several decades, sure glad I didn't let that stop me, it starts in one kick every time and every time it does there's a sense of satisfaction that comes with it.

I don't want to completely derail the thread, it was a great trip with lots of dirt riding in Death Valley and Moab, I poked along through the canyonlands, yellowstone and a whole bunch of other national parks and back roads and somewhat like riding around on my xs street tracker, touring on the xr is a great way to enjoy visiting with a lot of folks that just have to ask where your heading.

I'm taking it on another long one this summer. gramps

I’m jealous.. You wouldn’t be buying any of those bikes for those prices up in Alberta. I'd love to add a KLR to the stable.

i totally forgot about this thread. I ended up getting an '86 klr 600. got it from a friend for a few hundred bucks, it's a blast.
pics??
does the 600 suffer the same 'doohickey' weakness of the 650? worth checking if ya haven't already.

I have been a fan of the KLR for quite some time. With a problem like this on such a popular bike that has been present for so many years and knowing there is a fix and with so many people doing the do hickey thing I don't understand why Kawasaki hasn't fixed it.
jefft

They refuse to acknowledge the problem exist. If you do not over tighten the adjuster the original will last but the spring may give way.

the original will last but the spring may give way.

the klr forums have plenty of stories of hte original balancer adjuster being broken upon first inspection adjustment. When I upgraded mine I couldn't believe how thin and under-engineered the original was...

The 93 i had had a broken Doo-Hickey when i opened it up. Wish i had kept that damn thing...Insurance is supposed to go up again for sport, and my Versys falls under that. Looks like ill be buying another. Dr650 maybe this time. :D

I have a 98 dr350 suzuki. This is more dirt orientated than the klr. Can be had for 2-3K. Love mine, but springs need to be upgraded, they are only rated for 180 lb rider. Front and rear are $200 total. The se is street and dirt. The dirt only model has the better carb...If you have a little more money, the ktm 450, 500, 525 ect is the way to go. Thats all you will see at most true enduros.

I'm looking into a dual sport, I'm only 5'8 and wonder if they can be lowered at all, I know that would limit off road use a bit but that's alright with me.

When I rode a KLR,
a company did have lowering links but I do not have the name. Join the KLR forum and get all of the information that you need.

I'm looking into a dual sport, I'm only 5'8 and wonder if they can be lowered at all, I know that would limit off road use a bit but that's alright with me.

new dog bone links like tonyc said and push the forks up in the triple trees.

Sherwin thicker sole boots may help. I am 5'11" but have a 29" inseam and I used to lean the bike to one side at stops.

Corbin used to make seats for the KLR that would get your feet a little closer to the ground.
jefft

Back