Dyna III xs650 ignition system help needed

Metal

XS650 Custom shop
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a long time reader of posts but never asked any questions.
So I have a Dyna III ignition system for my current xs650 build and its seems complete. They stopped making this model (D-36-1) in 1982. I called Dynatek and customer support had no wire diagram or install guide so that turn out to be a dead end.

Fortunately 3 wires still have matching connectors that run to the timing sensor, another wire has a earth terminal and that leaves 3 remaining wires. Red, orange and gray. I'm thinking Red is my 12v and Orange and gray are to my coils. But I'm not sure which wire is to which.

So if anyone out there in xs650 land still has one of these units a photo of your setup would make my day. If anyone is like me and keeps everything and they still have the instructions from one of these units I would love to see a copy.

I love this forum and the Xs650 has been a big part of my life over the last 7 years since I have made so many frames for people. Thank you for reading

Dan. :bike:

Orange and gray are probably for left and right coils.

I think Orange was the left cylinder originally for the points system so it makes sense that they used that color for their system too.

Either way, try it and if no go switch sides.

Good Luck.

If the orange and gray go to the coils then where do the other to coil wires coming from the coil go?

Last edited:
New development I went to look at the auto timing adjuster and the springs had been removed and the lobs welded stationery. Why would some one do this?

Attachments

• 20130517_155834.jpg
    20130517_155834.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 366
It's welded in the full advance mode.

Does the Dyna ignition require this?

Or was this some kind of race engine? Not sure how you would start something in full advance. Kick start would throw you over the bars and electric start would just grunt and spin backward.

Wires to coils from Dyna go to positive leads and the other wire from the coil would go to ground.

You need to do some more research.

I Googled Dyna III and got this.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...D8SYrAH7xIDwDg&sqi=2&ved=0CDwQ9QEwBA&dur=6120

And this is a Guzzi forum with some good detail. Some of what they say here applies to all Dyna systems.

http://forum.guzzitech.com/component/jmrphpbb/topic/6094.html?f=197

Enjoy

Attachments

• Dyna.jpg
    Dyna.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,699
Found this:

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/downloads/Default.aspx

Not for a yamaha but the Guzzi system a least gives you some reference.

Kind of looks like your ATU (advance timing unit) might need to be held wide open, full advance, but not sure.

Perhaps that's why it was welded up, but that seems extreme for a bolt on replacement ignition system. Not something a company would expect the average biker to do.

Unusual for sure.

Attachments

• D37-1.pdf
    464.1 KB · Views: 261
  • Dyna3TSG.pdf
    136.1 KB · Views: 297
Thank you guys. I went through the dynatek site myself. I spoke with customer service but they had no idea about the unit since it was discontinued in 82. I'm going to machine the weld off and I ordered a spring kit from mikes. I'm putting points back in it for now until I learn more about the history of the engine. It has really high compression so maybe it was a performance engine of some kind.

The Dyna probably has the advance built in to the unit, So they welded the stock advancer. Wide open was probably easier than closed. This way the stock advance won't effect the Dyna advance.
If I was to do anything with the welded advance would be to just buy a new advancer. Keep your welded one to use with the Dyna ignition.
Several of the aftermarket XS650 ignitions with the advance built into the ignition have some way of deleting the mechanical advancer. The boyer uses a long bolt to replace the advancer and advancer rod. The new Pamco has an adapter that replaces the advancer and locks the advancer rod to the cam. Both systems need the stock advancer disabled.
The Dyna had you weld the advancer.
Leo

Its been awhile since this thread ended, but I want to add that I have a DynaIII system, too, but with the mechanical advance unmolested.

Larry Nelson at Dynatec assured me today that the advance unit should not be welded, but rather left as stock, fully functional.

Untitled-5.jpg

Maybe this will help someone in the future.
I took the Moto Guzzi Dyna III wiring diagram, and modified it for an XS650 Dyna III.
I had an old Dyna III ignition, I wired it like above, and I have spark.
The Module has two red wires coming from it, and the only thing I'm not sure about is if it matters which red wire goes where. Probably not. All of my wire ends were cut, so I couldn't tell what originally went where.

Back