Electrically handicapped. Please help!!

Romanousky

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I need some serious help to get my ride back on the road and there are just too many options for me to choose what I need. I would appreciate any help that you can give me. I don’t mind buying a new setup but I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg and I want good instructions on how to complete it. I am not electrically inclined.

Situation: Customized a 1981 XS650. Stock wiring harness,with new stock ignition box and new coil from Mikes XS. Bike ran fine but too many short circuits etc… in the lighting (burning out bulbs constantly). So I rippedout the entire stock wiring system out, made my own to completely separate the light circuit from the ignition circuit. Lighting circuit is great, works beautifully strictly off of the battery. Now, I can’t get any spark. My stator should still be fine, as is the coil, as is the ignition box so if I can still use these items that would be great. What is the easiest most straight forward way to get this thing done.

Most of the wiring diagrams I see show 4 white wires from stator going in to rect/reg and then a ground to the frame and then a yellow wire that is capped off (my stator has 4 whites, a yellow, a red, and a green + another set of wires - grey, orange, and black)? or a capacitor? I don't know they just say CAP.

This bike is kick start only with a battery.

IMG_0237.jpg

Regulator Rectifier

IMG_0622.jpg

These are all the wires coming from the stator. There are two plugs plugs. I can tell you all the colors if you need. As far as I know it is a stock stator.

IMG_0621.jpg

Ignition unit mounted underneath battery box

IMG_0620.jpg

Here is the ignition coil and the little box below that I guess is the pickup coil??? I don't even know what a pickup coil is.

IMG_0777.jpg

So basically, I really just want someone to tell me what to buy and how/where to connect the wires. Summer is here and I'm desperate to get it on the road. Thanks you for the help. - Andrew

Your stator if stock has three white wires and a yellow wire coming out of it. The brushes have a green and a brown wire. The TCI pick ups use the grey, orange and black.
In the stock system the 3 white go to the reg/rec along with the green wire. Brown goes to power after the switch.
The yellow wire went to the safety relay.
The grey, orange and black wires should go to the TCI box.
The rest should go to the reg/rec.
The yellow gets capped off if your not using the safety relay.
What wiring diagram did you use to rewire the bike?
Up in the XS650 Tech section you will find a list, scroll down till you find a the electrical diagram thread.
Look through the diagrams and pick one that has all the parts you have. I like the fourth one down. It shows a basic points set up but it has the TCI ignition in a box, just swap the TCI box for the points box, the same with the reg/rec, just swap the seperate for the combo.
Leo

Your '81's pickup is on the stator, magnets in rotor. That little box underneath the coil may be the reserve lighting unit, not 100% sure though. Here's a link to the wiring diagrams, http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61 scroll down to post 7, by 650Skull to find stock wiring diagram.

Wrong, not the reserve lighting, its the flasher cancelling unit.

Here's a pic of an 80 up stator. The black oval shaped thing is the pickup.
The little box under the coil is the self canceler unit. Beside the coil is the turn signal flasher.
The reserve lighting unit is the gray box on the frame behind the battery.
Leo

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 190
Thank you for the information guys. I am going to lose the self canceling box and redo the wiring (hopefully this weekend).

My first immediate question is whats up with the fourth white wiring coming from the stator? I will cap off the yellow wire and you have already told me how to deal with the orange/grey/black wires from the other plug.

The next question will be how to connect the ignition unit mounted under the battery box. I'll get to this later though.

I'll take more pictures to show how far I get. Thanks again for the input!!

What fourth white wire. The stator has three whites, a yellow, the brushes have a green and brown.
There is a sky blue wire that comes off the top of the transmission and goes into the harness and goes up to the big plug, that's the neutral light wire.
Leo

Back