Emgo Shorty Mufflers

knucks

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got these Emgo shorty mufflers.

$T2eC16FHJGoE9nuQeWV6BQ60YN,UUQ~~60_35.jpg

Any suggestions on how to attach them? I have some clamps..my pipes are 1.5" and the mufflers are that as well, it is, however, not a tight fit..

My headers angle slightly up as well.

Should I cut a little 'slit' in the mufflers so that the clamp can tighten them on?
1385923_10103158011910633_1050599383_n.jpg

Help me before I go decide to have a friend weld them on?

I think if you measure the inside of your mufflers you may find they are 1 3/4 inch.
Mine came with a set of adapters. The set composed of three rings of steel that fit one inside another. Slip the into the muffler. Biggest first. See if it fits snuggly on the pipe. If not slip the next smaller adapter inside the one in the muffler. Try it on the pipe. Once you get a good snug fit. Clamp it on.
If they are 1 3/4 inch mufflers go to the nearest Harley shop and get a pair of their clamps. Best 1 3/4 inch clamps out there. And cost about #8 each.
I'll post a pic. You can see they are made from a thicker steel and has a big bolt. This lets you get it tight.
Leo

Attachments

• IMG_5021.jpg
    IMG_5021.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 258
Did they come with the adapter sets? If so use whatever adapters you need to get a snug fit on the pipe.
I don't like welding the mufflers to the head pipes. Makes it hard to remove if you ever want to.
Leo

No no adapters. I am with you on the welding idea..

So if its a snug fit I shouldn't have any air leaks at the pipe/muffler connection..

Right a good snug fit won't leak. If it does try making your own adapters. Take a soup can and cut it down one side then cut into strips. Cut these strips so they just fit one time around the pipe. If the can has a section with ribs use that section for the strips.
The ribs will crush between the muffler and pipe and seal very well.
Leo

I cut three narrow "slits" to my mufflers with a hacksaw and clamped them on. The smaller end of the muffler was the right size for my pipes. Thet leak a bit but a leak that small really does not matter. Also made end-pieces or "baffles" that have smaller exit tube (about 2" long). They cut the low frequency noise down. Sounds much better. http://pjl.kotipolttoinen.com/random/xs650-2013/WP_20130430_012.jpg (only tack welded in the pic)

Pekka

I think you're going to find that those little mufflers aren't much better than no muffler at all, lol. Waste of time and money really.

Back