Engine oil cap.

madmax-im

Yamaha...Go your own way...
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking at the online manual supplement for the G model and I believe this is a mis-print...

"Engine rump oil quantity - Oil exchange: 2.0 lit 12.1 US qt) "

2 litres is 2.11 Quarts...though..
sump not rump...DOH :laugh2:
In addition the manual says engine oil change intervals after break-in are at 2500 miles..yet i have read threads here saying every 1000 miles please advise???

Last edited:
looks like the '81 owners manual says 2500 and the '78 service manual says 2000. couldn't immediately find in '81 service supplement

Well the discussion on 1000 mile intervals isnt relevant to my model year so unless otherwise noted...I'll just go by the book...I was quoting from the XS650G supplement...

BTW we use 20w50 down here ..not worried about changing to a lighter oil for winter..bike will be kept warm and cozy in da house...piece of cake to get it indoors...or back out.

That manual is mis-printed. That "1" is supposed to be a parenthesis symbol. I've run across that more than once in the factory shop manuals.

We change the oil more frequently than speced because of the crude wire mesh filters. It's your bike though, change it whenever you like.

That manual is mis-printed. That "1" is supposed to be a parenthesis symbol. I've run across that more than once in the factory shop manuals.

We change the oil more frequently than speced because of the crude wire mesh filters. It's your bike though, change it whenever you like.
So every 1000 miles is a valid interval for good preventative maintence? If so thats what I want to know...and that is what I will do...I may be ignorant but i'm not stupid..ya cant even trust the yamaha manual compared to the real world experiences here...that is why i ask..Thank you very much sir...

Many of these bikes weren't treated very well in the past. They didn't get frequent enough oil changes, and even less frequent filter cleanings. Many of them have lots of built up and residual gunk in them. It took me 6 to 8K miles on mine before the filters started coming out relatively clean. It took that long to flush out all that residual crap from the past. So, I would recommend that you change the oil frequently AND clean the filters at every change until they do come out clean. Then you could probably bump your change intervals up a little, maybe to 1500, and maybe clean the filters every other change.

I like pulling the filters though so I can see what's going on inside the motor. I have extras so I have clean ones ready to swap in. Then I can clean up the ones I removed at my leisure so they're ready for the next change.

Many of these bikes weren't treated very well in the past. They didn't get frequent enough oil changes, and even less frequent filter cleanings. Many of them have lots of built up and residual gunk in them. It took me 6 to 8K miles on mine before the filters started coming out relatively clean. It took that long to flush out all that residual crap from the past. So, I would recommend that you change the oil frequently AND clean the filters at every change until they do come out clean. Then you could probably bump your change intervals up a little, maybe to 1500, and maybe clean the filters every other change.

I like pulling the filters though so I can see what's going on inside the motor. I have extras so I have clean ones ready to swap in. Then I can clean up the ones I removed at my leisure so they're ready for the next change.
I'm getting Cafefill's 1980 restomod..so it prolly is damn clean already..and has been since he did the restoration. But i will err on the side of caution...i am trying to learn about these bikes so if i dont ask stupid questions then we do stupid things. wouldnt want to be careless but then i dont want to "worry too much"....."just the facts ma'am"

Last edited:
Back