Engine questions.

clubsandbones

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Few questions as a beginner when it comes to XS engines, or any engines for that matter.

The block seems to have little bits of an old gasket on it from were the previous owner must of have ripped it all off but not completely. Should it all be completely gone before putting new gasket on?

Also should I somehow lubricate the camshaft and does the inside of the block need to be 100% free of dust etc? I've tried to keep it as clean as possible by covering the hole with a rag.

I think I maybe a little over cautious but i don't wanna ruin a perfectly fine engine.

Yes, you want the engine surfaces to be 100% free of any left over gasket material. Yes, you want the engine inside free of dust. Its just common sense.................any dust/dirt left inside will comtaminate the engine oil. If you want to be cautious, you can drain and refill the oil after only 50 or 100 kms of running.

Sure, put some oil on the camshaft before closing up the top of the engine. Prior to starting for the first time, you can remove the spark plugs, and pump the kick starter about 15 or 20 times.

Edit: Also leave the top engine mount off, to allow a re-torque of engine studs at 100, 200 and 400 kms. Use 30 ft-lbs for the large studs.

If you really want to protect the engine over the long term, replace the wire strainer, on the right engine cover, with a real paper oil filter. You will have much better oil filtration.

Last edited:
Yes, once you start and run the engine, most any dust or stuff like that will come out on the first oil change. This is why an a fresh rebuild you change the oil at very short intervals. This lets you get the dust out and you can ibspect the oil and filters for excessive debris. Once you reach around the 500 km mark you can go to the regular oil change interval.
Leo
Oil the cam with the same oil you plan to run in the engine.

Okay thankyou for answering my questions.

Also do you have any tips of removing what's left of the old gaskets? Do i scrape them off or would that damage the metal?

Having recently just fought with this problem, don't waste money on the gasket remover sold at autozone. It simply doesn't work at all, even after soaking.

I found that generous amounts of rubbing alcohol and patient (careful) scraping with a razor blade worked best. Scrape perpendicular to the surface and use only light pressure so that you don't accidentally gouge the metal. It will seem to take ages to get the surface clean; but it will be worth the effort when your bike doesn't leak.

I'll add to the gasket removal.
Rustoleum Aircraft Remover and some flat stock, 3/16 or 1/4" aluminum to scrape with. Works a charm and won't gouge your surfaces as steel will.

Last edited:
To ensure no scoring occurs on camshafts, rocker arms and even the tips of the valves I recommend assembly lube instead of engine oil on a first start up. Smear it liberally on all the surfaces. I use Red Line. A little tube will last for years. Cheap insurance.

Back