Engine removal

I would still prefer to remove and lift the frame rather than remove and lift the engine.

DO NOT LIFT BY YOURSELF!!! I am 250lbs and not too fat ( I work out) I removed my engine by myself and carried it all over the garage. I will not carry it by myself anymore. Back injuries NEVER heal 100% and hernias? I want none of it. I did remove my engine with the bike on the centerstand. Finaggled the engine up and over and out of the frame on the throttle side. Have an extra set of hands!

100_0278.jpg

Thank you Mharrington for stating the facts. I couldn't agree more. Back injuries NEVER heal is so true! If a young lad in his 20's or 30's tries the one person engine removal, they could look forward to many, many years of back pain.

This is definitely a 2 person job. The only way this could be a 1 person job is if you use a chain hoist such as shown by I am Carbon in his excellent video. With a hoist you could then set the engine on a dolley or bench.

A lot of guys don't have a chain hoist. Just buy 2 pipes and some nylon straps. I adopted the 2 pipe method from 5twins, who welded brackets onto the 2 pipes. If you don't weld then the nylon straps make it simple and safe.

Thinking back to my last place of work, as I remember, we had a limit of 55 lbs as the maximum weight that one person could be asked to lift. Beyond that weight required mechanical lifting devices. That rule was to prevent injuries to employees.

Even with 2 people and using pipes, each person is lifting about 80 lbs, which is safe if you keep your back straight as you lift with your legs.

Forget about TV shows that show 1 guy lifting engines.................be smart and use a chain hoist or 2 people with the correct methods.

Attachments

• Engine Removal.JPG
    Engine Removal.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 273
While we are talking about lifting, hoist's etc. Can you lift the motor from the top mount with a hoist, or does this put to much stress on the head bolts etc?

My reason for asking is I have a120 volt, 800# winch in my garage ceiling. I use it to lift the back of my snowmobiles up, to save my back.

This method gets the engine out of the frame, but the engine is still on the floor. You still need a safe lifting method to get the engine from the floor to the bench. How is that done?

If you need to get it up on a bench you will need another set of hands or a small hoist. No way around it. I would guess it would be ok to lift by the top head mounts, but I would probably use the front and rear to be safe.

Used your idea and mounted my motor yesterday!

I've attached a dimensioned picture of my 1/2" plywood plus my cafe project.

Attachments

• DSCN2451 rotated 2.jpg
    DSCN2451 rotated 2.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCN2442.JPG
    DSCN2442.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN2448.JPG
    DSCN2448.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN2450.JPG
    DSCN2450.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCN2452.JPG
    DSCN2452.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 301
Take a look at my method. Very simple to build and and control removal and installation. You can always manhandle the thing but there are usually consequences to your back or newly painted frame. I just used threaded rod at the top,top rear,and front mounts.Located their position on a 2x2 1/2 panel and reinforced with spare 2x6 pieces. On the back of the 2x2 panel I pounded those threaded inserts with the teeth to hold the rod. I believe I used 1/2 and 3/8 rod. You will need to double check hole size.

I've got to take my engine out soon and I think I'll be copying your method, looks like you've done a bit of smart thinking there :)

Back