Engine Work... How far should I go

lowntown

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello, Working on my first xs 650 project and I have the engine out and both side covers off for cleaning and polishing. I also plan on removing the top of the head for cleaning as well since it seems to have been painted black at some point. When I removed the oil filter I noticed some small bits as well as some shavings when I drained the oil on the plug. Engine seemed to run fine. I have not done alot of engine work but feel i am up to the challenge. What would you all recommend doing/replacing once it is apart, or should I just clean the covers and head and button it back up with messing anything up. thanks Mitch

I wouldn't remove the top of the head.
To strip off the old paint, some came from the factory that way, Use paint stripper, brushes and such, Or seal the intake and exhaust ports and sand blast it. This will strip the paint.
You say it ran good. Then why mess with it. Step one, if you haven't already get a repair manual. Free as downloads.
As xskid said check the compression. If above 100 psi and even left to right I wouldn't do anything till I had the bike together and rode it awhile.
Actually I would not have torn it down till I was sure of the engine. Ride it a few weeks to determine just how good the engine is. Do a few oil changes, like at 50, 100 and 200 miles. Watch for debris in the oil, strange sounds, how the transmission works.
Putting your bikes year, model and any mods in your signature will help us help you.
But if you must pull it down check everything the book tells you to check. This will help you decide just what needs to be replaced.
There are a few standard things that need replacing. The front cam chain guide, the cam chain.
There are two oil filters, one in the side cover, this one is usually good, just clean and reinstall, the one in the sump, mounted on the sump plate that is held to the bottom of the engine, is often torn. This can be fixed.
I have several of both filters. I have an extra sump plate. I have a clean filter on the extra sump plate, at oil changes I just swap the sump plates. Clean for dirty.
The same with the side cover filter, clean for dirty. This speeds up oil changes. Leave the cleaning of the filters for a time when you are not riding, like at night.
Leo

Most of these motors are in need of a new front cam chain guide. It's not a mileage thing but rather an age thing. The glue bonding the rubber strip to the aluminum guide base is letting go. This is how I found mine, about 2/3 detached .....

FrontGuide2.jpg

Yours could be better but it might be worse. I've found several where the rubber strip fell right off. Just letting you know that eventually, you will want to replace this part. Installing a new chain with it is also a good idea.

Pull it all apart. Get overwhelmed. Give up. Sell on ebay in boxes.:banghead:

Kidding. Dont do that. I would start with a compression test, just see where its at. If its OK, put it back on, do your cam chain, valves, timing and carbs. Ride it. See what's up.:thumbsup:

Back