Ever been "paced" by a "gawker"?

Yamaha set it up that way so it should be ok to use the starter from cold.
Then again they did a few things that time has proven not to work so well.
I might consider using the safety relay from a later model, one that turns the headlight on after the engine starts. It shouldn't be hard to adapt it into your wiring.
Your bike uses blue/white wires for the engine stop switch, the later red/white.
The 80 up has a red/yellow and a blue/black wire. Power comes in on the red/yellow and goes out on the blue/black. This sends power to the reserve lighting unit and light checker. They work together to control the headlight. Turn it on and turn on the other element when one burns out.
In your case you can run the red/yellow from your key switch to the red/yellow of the safety relay, the blue/black from the safety relay to the red/yellow that goes to your dimmer switch.
I think you can do this with just unplugging the red/yellow just after the key switch. I think the red/yellow is in a single wire plug in. Just unplug the wires and plug wires in to reach the safety relay. At the plug for the safety relay you may have to rearrange the wires to match your harness.
I wouldn't change any of the wiring on the bikes harness, just on the safety relay side of the plug.
It doesn't sound like a hard task. This will turn the headlight on after the engine starts.
If the engine stalls after you start the bike the latch on the relay will keep the headlight lit. So to turn the headlight of when starting in that circumstance you will need to turn the key off and back on. This unlatches the relay.
Or wire in a lighting relay like used to power extra lights on a car. Just use the yellow wire from the alternator to trip it on after the engine starts. Wire it into the red/yellow like the safety relay to 30 and 87 on the relay and the yellow wire to 86, ground 85.
On adjusting the decompressor cable, I don't find it in my manuals. I would remove the decompressor cover off so I can roll the engine over to get the exhaust valve under the decompressor fully closed. The same as when you adjust that valve for clearance.
Then install the cover, adjust the cable to 1/8 inch or so free play. This should let the valve operate normally unless the lever is pulled, then it should open the valve to close to the max amount the decompressor can open it.
Much tighter and it may interfere with the normal valve operation, much looser and the decompressor may not open the valve enough.
To see if the valve is actully opening, I might leave the key off, kick it over with the kick start a few times, then pull the lever and kick it a few more times. If the decompressor is working the engine will kick over easier with the lever pulled.
In the manual under the starter section they list the starter as pulling 35 amps draw while cranking the engine with the decompressor lever pulled, 20 degrees C. It goes on to say At 300 rpm at 75 A or less.
So even with the light on, using the decompressor cuts the starter draw about in half.
With the decompressor pulled your only cranking a 325 cc engine.
I think as long as your charging system is keeping the battery fully charged it will start fine with the decompressor cold or warm.
Try it and see how it starts.
Leo

Leo, thanks very much for all of this! Helpful!

I think I'll save the headlight aspect of it for off-season. If I start fooling with electrics now, I could easily eff it up enough to kill the rest of the season. :p

As to the decompressor lever, I can't find any adjustment procedure either, but yours makes sense. I didn't have time this morning to actually pull the valve cover, but what I did do, with the key off, was just rotate the motor gradually with the the kicker, pulling the lever intermittently. The very least amount of play the lever has at anywhere in the rotation is (as it happens!) just about 1/8", measured by how far the butt of the decompressor lever moves from the perch. So, I think this is one of those times where I might just leave well enough alone, since the device seems to be working (at least from hot), and since I don't seem to be experiencing any exhaust valve misbehavior as far as I can tell.

I'll try it from cold, though, just for grins.

Again, many thanks!!

TC

I enjoyed reading this piece; you write quite well, almost as if you do it for a living. Reminds me of the articles I wrote on my travels in Japan (one being on a motorcycle through the country side. Just beautiful.) back in college.

I can't wait to get my paper weight moving sometime, right now I still need to clean off all the barn dust.

August, you're very kind. :) Thank you. I don't write for a living, but often think I should have, or wish I did.

Leo, I tried the decompression lever from stone cold yesterday! The bike had sat for two weeks because of all the rain, so this was a good test. Fuel... choke... key... kill switch. I didn't want to grind the starter too long, so one little tug to pull some vaporized fuel into the chambers, and then a second. She fired instantly, and came off the choke in under a minute with a bit of throttle and a tweak of the idle speed screw to get a nice cold idle.

So, yeah... that works properly, I suppose! :)

Still watching that bit of a whine. No, not mine... the bike's. :p

TC

Sorry, guys... but it was warm and sunny again late yesterday afternoon, after work, so I had a brief bit of fun again:

I took the gal out for about an hour or so. We'd been out maybe 30 minutes or thereabouts, so she was up to op temp. I was coming up on a long light - late afternoon traffic out on Rt. 40 - so I decided to just idle slowly through a strip mall to circumvent it and squirt out the other end relatively unimpeded. In doing so, I rolled past Advance Auto, and there were three older guys talking out front. I wear a full face lid and didn't make direct eye contact, but I was within feet of them. So, while rolling past them toward the lot exit, I cracked the throttle a bit a couple times in neutral, and then proceeded out onto Rt. 40 with a little bit of "flourish".

You know that menstrual snarl that mama lioness makes when one gets a bit too close to the little ones? That's what the TX was doing when I goosed that mechanically operated VM. I flat effing love that sound. Any human who does not respond viscerally to that sound has simply died, and no one has told them yet. Those guys were apparently brethren, though, and I'll bet they had clean forgotten what they'd been talking about. :p

Yeah, I was showin' off. And no, I ain't apologizin'. I have worked and waited for four damned years for this. So, crucify me. :D

TC

Last edited:
TEECAT, You should start your own thread. I love reading your posts, very entertaining! Even if you made up fictional ride stories, I'd prolly still read 'em :)

One of these days TeeCat and I need to get together and write some tutorials. We can work together explaining the technical aspects of certain repairs. Then TeeCat can wordsmith my fumbling, mumbling, throwing and cursing. Should be fun.

Sinking and Bill... thank you so much. You are far too kind. And funny as hell, too, the both of you. :p

Say... what's a vintage bike fetish without a bit of storytelling, fumbling, mumbling, throwing and cursing?! :p

TC

I was out riding with my brother in law last week just havin a time. We were at a really long stoplight when a guy on some new victory cruiser kinda sidled up to me. "Is that a XS400?" he asked over his stereo system. I shook my head "74 650". He smiled nodded and said "nice bike" . I told him I loved it but hey it doesnt have a stereo. I could hear my brother in law laughing his ass off on his ninja when the light turned and I tore off. I have 2 shorty reverse megaphone exhausts on my bike and I swear I havnt heard anything sound as good. That victory sure looked comfy though!

Im not kidding when I say their the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard. That being said, one of the baffles is loose and i can hear it rattling around at idle.

I quite agree. I love the way my bike sounds at idle, because it's asymmetrical (single carb/one slightly longer intake runner), but the music really starts when I come up through the gears.

Last edited:
This past Saturday (after Thanksgiving Day), it was mild and pleasant out, so I took the '73 out to get some fresh gas and run a few ounces of Sea Foam through the lines and carb, as well as to get a second little run in on the synthetic oil I am experimenting with (Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle-specific/Wet Clutch/10W-40). Once she was up to op temp, I was pulling up to a light on Rt. 40, and a big Harley bagger pulled up next to me in the left lane. My TX got the nod and a nice long visual inspection, which was gratifying. The Harley's rider was an older guy... maybe he knew what he was looking at and was an "equal opportunity ogler". Works for me.

As we pulled away from the light (though I do wear a full face lid), I could not hear that bagger... just my '73 with baffled ascots, sounding much more like a performance bike than an essentially stock 650 twin, for some reason.

TC

Beautifully written piece TeeCat.
Mine is far from road ready, but I bombed around on it in stock from for a while before tearing it apart. I'd say most of the looks I got were confusion. With is being stock, with open exhaust, it didnt look like it sounded.

I'm no stranger to gawkers though. I have owned quite a few modified old VW Bugs. Driving an old Beetle will force you into the spotlight, especially in parking lots. Seems damn near everyone 30+ had one, had one in the family, or has one... And they all want to talk about it.

The one that got the most attention was my '69. It was black and maroon, street baja set-up with a 1piece tilt front end. That thing confused the hell out of the harley guys... I had four straight pipes on her, and it sounded like a pack of harleys lol. Everytime I drove past a HD I'd see him look around for the other bikes :laugh:

Cant wait to get my bike on the road again, and its stories like yours that make the waiting just that much harder.

Thanks, Brother. :)

Say, the bright side is that at least you can get yours back together when you want to! I'd never be able to do that without the help of a small village, and gods from several different cultures tossing miracles at me! :p Take heart! :)

I love early VWs. :) For cars that were once widely perceived as the epitome of unattractiveness, they make some damned pretty little slammers, buggies, and customs. :) Love those! :)

TC

Thanks, Brother. :)

Say, the bright side is that at least you can get yours back together when you want to! I'd never be able to do that without the help of a small village, and gods from several different cultures tossing miracles at me! :p Take heart! :)

One of the many benefits of growing up with a certified jet-engine mechanic and jack of all trades for a father, and my mom whos favorite line was "go help your father". Hated it then, love what I learned now. But I still turn to those who know more about a particular subject when I get stumped, or just want a fresh perspective. I couldn't do half of what I want to without message boards like this one and the knowledge of the people that frequent them.

I love early VWs. :) For cars that were once widely perceived as the epitome of unattractiveness, they make some damned pretty little slammers, buggies, and customs. :) Love those! :)

TC

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. I made the mistake of getting a VW Beetle as a first car, way back when, and have yet to be able to shake the addiction. Have a feeling the XS is gonna be the same way. Keep on keepin-on TeeCat, love the stories!

Back