ever feel that technology is leaving you behind?

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
how about a camera that captures light at a trillion frames a second slow motion !

That means it would take over a year to see a bullet travel 12" at that rate !

Think about it.........

That really is amazing, I got steered to TED one other time, thanks for reminding me!

Look at all the technological marvels that have been invented in my lifetime and what people use them for . Back in the '60s and '70s things like cellphones, phones where you can see who you are talking to , miniature cameras that can transmit a picture to the other side of the world in real time was the stuff of science fiction.

We used to be afraid of technology that could be used by the government to spy on us . Now "Big Brother is watching you " and no one seems to care. Do you think things like On Star was developed as a service to consumers or as a way to make it easier to repo your car if you miss a payment ?

Yes, the longer we live, the more we will be amazed at the newer technology. High school students are not impressed by computers,internet,digital cameras or smartphones. As they grew up, these things have just been there, so they take them as commonplace. Only us old dudes, really see that the world has changed very rapidly.

Why did GM put On Star in their cars? They did it simply to make more profit. Car makers make much more profit on the optioned out cars than they do on basic models. Remember when small screen video players first got popular. Car makers were selling those in minivans for a huge mark-up.............several thousand dollars.

We all know techies, that must have the latest gadgets. They will line up at Apple stores for days, in order to be the first in their group to have the newest toys. They will pay top dollar and feel like masters of the high tech world, until news comes out that a newer version is soon to be released.

Lets face it, when a 20 year old on his brand new sport motorcycle, that has computerized fuel injection and spark control, fly by wire, abs braking, and advanced cylinder metalurgy, sees us old dudes on 30 year old bikes, guess what he says.........................."man did technology ever leave those dudes behind!"

If you want to be a early adopter of the latest technology, be prepared to spend a lot of money. Manufacturers love to sell you goods at a huge profit margin.

I prefer to be a late adopter, not because I fear technology, but because of my Scotch heritage, I'm just frugal (some say cheap :))

Yes, the longer we live, the more we will be amazed at the newer technology. )

I vividly remember spending ages oggling the very first calculator in a camera shop window back in 1972
I think it was produced by Sinclair and cost £70.00 !

We will see amazing things in our lifetime if the world lasts that long :D

Technology has left me so far behind that it's just a dot on the horizon. I still have a VCR that I never learned how to program, and the 13 year old next door had to show me how to use my new cell phone. If you blink these days, you get two days behind on the latest available technology. At 69 years old, I've seen a lot, but we are just getting started.

I hope to learn all of the functions of my new phone before I die of old age.:D

Haha I know I'm younger than most everybody on these boards but I actually remember going to school when there were no cell phones in school.......I actually found one on the ground that worked and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Nowadays you see 6-year-olds taking cell phones to school like they would die without them. I'm not really into the smartphone/iPhone trend though.....way overpriced and obsolete too soon.

One of my favorite sites is Phys.org, lots of technology stuff you don't read elsewhere.

If you blink these days, you get two days behind on the latest available technology. At 69 years old, I've seen a lot, but we are just getting started.

:D

thats the trouble these days .... the technology is way smarter than us folk that use it.!:wtf:

I've got a camera that knows where I am all the time ,jeez.... I don't know where I am most of the time these days:D.....

Yes Yes, Remind me that I'm getting to be an "oldman". Thank you.:D
Had a friend over in the summer that brought his 6 year old daughter along with him . Seems like tattoos are so common these days that the kid was trying to figure out what the "pictures" were on my leg. So now my vericose veins are cool .

I take great joy in applying a neandertahl kludge to some latest and great techno marvel to keep it limping along. My current project has wires sticking out of a Glow plug module on my diesel Sprinter van to bypass "one time" internal fuses with replaceable blade fuses. Now it blows 20 cent fuses instead of $200 modules. I love the There I fixed it pictures.

14328_554851364544321_1265021601_n.jpg

Need I say more.

I take great joy in applying a neandertahl kludge to some latest and great techno marvel to keep it limping along. My current project has wires sticking out of a Glow plug module on my diesel Sprinter van to bypass "one time" internal fuses with replaceable blade fuses. Now it blows 20 cent fuses instead of $200 modules. I love the There I fixed it pictures.

:thumbsup: I'm proud of my Neanderthal ancestry :D

If I can reuse an old spear, I reckon thats the best form of recycling:wink2:

Sometimes I feel like going "Old School" on some of my technological devices, ie...anything with windows os. Maybe using something analog, like a wooden bat, or an old hand made brick. It would be fine with me if my laptop caught the Louisville Slugger virus.

argh don't get me going on OS's :banghead:

I'd go back to XP in a flash if it was still supported.

I detest this stupid wishy washy transparent Win7 like the plague. :banghead:
Vista was bad enough. Who are the clientbase that Microsoft are designing for these days ? 10 year old kids !
What was wrong with Outlook Express ? why have we had this Windows Live Mail foisted on us . ?

Grrrrrr :mad:

Missus and I have got 2x netbooks for touring and 2x laptops for home use and MS want me to buy 4x seperate Win7 licenses at $150 ea ?...... yeah friggin right

argh don't get me going on OS's :banghead:

I'd go back to XP in a flash if it was still supported.

I detest this stupid wishy washy transparent Win7 like the plague. :banghead:
Vista was bad enough. Who are the clientbase that Microsoft are designing for these days ? 10 year old kids !
What was wrong with Outlook Express ? why have we had this Windows Live Mail foisted on us . ?

Grrrrrr :mad:

Missus and I have got 2x netbooks for touring and 2x laptops for home use and MS want me to buy 4x seperate Win7 licenses at $150 ea ?...... yeah friggin right

I use Windows XP, it works perfect for me. I'll be using it until my present computer (Dell XPS) blows up or melts down.

I see no reason to change my operating system. It's all just marketing..................everybody trying to make you believe that your life will be better if you buy the latest operating system. or the latest smart phone, or the latest TV, etc. etc.

Consumers, stand up for your own financial health and don't buy all this crap that is pushed at you daily by advertisers.

My rant for to-day:D

Back