Finding timing marks

So I've never timed anything before, but from what I understand you just hook the light up to the spark plug wire, shine it on your marks and it should light up every time a spark gets sent through the spark plug wire and light up your timing marks? Adjust accordingly.

Yep, that's the theory. The inductive clamp on the spark plug triggers the strobe when it detects the high voltage passing to the plug. So, every time the engine is firing, the strobe lights up and makes the marks look like they are standing still, enabling you to see where the mark on the rotor ligns up to the static marks on the case. If its advanced, meaning the plug is firing early, you'll see the mark appear further before TDC. Hence you'll often see timing expressed in degrees, followed by BTDC or before top dead centre, which is the degree angle measured (in this case) clockwise away fromTDC.

What would be the case if I were setting it and I were either fully advanced or fully retard (that I am haha no offense to anyone) and still not running right? Cams not lined up right?

If thats the case, you could be a tooth or more out on the cam. A simple way to check, is to put the engine at TDC and check the hole on the right side of the threaded part if the cam. You'll need to remove the chrome cover first. This should be vertical.

Have you had the head off?

Back