first time messing with ignition/charging 73 tx650

suedburger

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
First off this bike is my buddy's, that he was left to him and i am helping him with it.
It is stock 73 TX650, it has not ran in approx. 25 years. We have not got it to fire yet as there is no spark. The wiring is a complete clusterf'''k, i temporarily ran wires from the (fully charged) battery to the coils(bypassing the kill switch and key via toggle switch)i have power at the points but i have no spark to the plugs...We are planning on running a battery with the electric starter also.

Now to the question; we are intending to put this bike on the road and would like to get away from points and update the system to a more reliable set up. We are dealing with limited funds at this point and would like to get the best we can for our money with out "cheaping out". I was looking on Mikesxs and am a little confused with some the kits. As in would they replace the entire ignition and charging system or would i still need to buy additional(or reuse stock)parts?

Thanks any help is appreciated

I recommend you buy a Pamco ignition with the E-advance option. That system is an ignition only.

For charging, I recommend you buy an automotive nos VR-115 regulator (or its equivalent) and also buy a new 3 phase, 25 or 35 amp, rectifier available on Ebay.

I recommend those items because I use them and I know they work very well.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/regulator-rectifier.21485/

Welcome to the site suedburger.
The 77 I'm riding has a pamco ignition with the mechanical advance. Seems to fire a little easier on start and runs a little smoother at idle than the 79 with points.
The 77 also has had the newer reg/rec, the '79 the stock components. The 77 charges at higher rates or maybe I should the '79 charges at lower rates since 13.8 is about the top for it. Both will have a fully charged battery at the end of the day.
I would not purchase one of the PMA's Mikes or Hugh offers. I did purchase one of the PowerDynamo systems but haven't installed it yet.
The huge supply of 3 phase 25 amp rectifiers on e-bay 2 years ago seems to have dried up? Only 1 return for that search.
A search for 35 amp still has some of the Xinzen. But none already having the heat sink.

I would recommend getting a repair manual and try doing a complete tune up. This includes a few adjustments and carb cleaning.
Do the things in this order, doing them other wise requires repeating some of the steps.
#1 Cam Chain adjustment.
#2 Valve adjustment.
#3 Points gap adjustment. Check the points, they may need fining and cleaning.
#4 Points timing adjustment.
At this point you should get spark. If not I might try a fresh set of points. Around $20.
If you get spark then it should run, If not www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf will help get them working.
Now If you get it running you can test the charging system. If it charges then you can ride it.
Getting a Pamco, either a basic that uses your stock mechanical advancer is doable, You will need a new coil, A dual output coil. read more about them on Pamcopete's ignition web site.
Running the Pamco with E-advancer is a good option. The stock advancer is mechanical and has wear related issues. The E-advancer eliminates the stock advancer and does the advance with solid state electronic parts.
I personally have used the Pamco in all it's various ways. I like the E-advancer units. The bike runs the smoothest and about the best it can run. Well worth the cost.
On the charging system the stock regulator and rectifier are ancient tech. Upgrades As RG mentioned are cost effective and one of the best upgrades for the money.
Searching on this site will find all the info on any of these things.
Leo

I've had good results with the stock charging systems. Yes I have replaced bad rotors but they were toasted when I got the bikes. Watching the classifieds and e-bay I've managed to pick up good replacements.
Re: Mikes that is a personal opinion of their business practices thing.
Both Mikes and Hughs are selling china imports, quality is a factor.
Search the site threads for PMA problems. I like my headaches to come a bit cheaper than the price of PMA systems.
Not that I don't run one. Just a couple of weeks ago the Hardly Abelson's stator went out. . . .
The new replacement was not compatible with the old rotor and reg/rec. So a whole new system had to be purchased. 4 days vacation lost, 3 extra nights in a motel and a $900 shop bill. I'm a little sour on PMA's right now.

My xs1 still has points and the original charging. To get it running after 30+ years sitting all that was required was jump box, fresh gasoline, 30 minutes kicking and fiddling (cleaning the points with a stick of flexstone and figuring out that someone swapped the coil wires while in storage). Same points and plugs from 1977. If your wiring is good, clean the points and get it running before making the decision on changes. At this point (after restore), I have no issues riding distances at road speed.

If the 3 phase rectifiers cannot be easily found, you can always just buy 2 single phase bridge rectifiers. They would have 8 diodes, but you only need 6 diodes, so 2 end up being spares.

a little bit of an update...i read up on setting the points and it took me some time to figger it all out... i got it to start and run ..i used the static method ...it will start with one or two kicks everytime...it will break up around the mid range, bottom and high end is good, but i think that is a carb issue...that is my next project....if it was not for all your help i would still be sitting in my garage staring at it.....thank you very much...i apologize for any stupid questions in the future....

No stupid questions here, good job on getting it to fire and yes your likely right, those carbs need to take a bath.

Back