First time rehab of a 1976ish basket case

Should I cut down front fender or leave it?

• Total voters
I removed the diagrams to save confusion. I started a thread asking about this as well. I will work through there...........

Are you saying the Yellow from the alternater doesn't continuously power through the Safety relay to the brown wire onto the Red/white wire.......??

Would the blue wire from the bar switch on/of switch, connect up to the taillight off the Blue meter light circuit ??
Soo I'll preface this by saying that I DON'T know what I'm talking about, but I THINK the idea for the relay is: yellow comes from alt, once a certain amount of power is generated into relay it cuts out, preventing starter button from engaging while running, bypassing the blue/white circuit and continuously running through brown to red? Maybe? Maybe not :shrug:

IMG_3416.JPG
IMG_3501.JPG
I haven't been slacking, just distracted doing life stuff, reading, and ordering parts! In the meantime I got the inside of the left cover cleaned up and prepped to replace pushrod seal and bushing, and fabbed up a quick and dirty seat pan since the one on the.bike was clearly not intended for that frame, as well as being rusted out beyond disrepair and having a ripped cover. New upholstery will be here the 16th!
IMG_3508.JPG
IMG_3505.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG
IMG_3517.JPG
IMG_3520.JPG
Got almost all parts for carbs in, just waitin on new pilot jets and everything will be going back together and they'll be getting a bench sync. In the meantime I stacked some foam and shaved it down today, one layer of low-density @ 1.5 inches thick will go on top then upholstery. Been picking away at cleaning off old grease/oil and continuing the checklist. I think swing arm bushings were replaced because there's no side to side action which is nice, at least for now

Also push/pull on the top and bottom of the wheel. See if there's any rotation in there.
I was rocking it all around in every direction pretty good, didn't seem to have any play, also the steering stem seems pretty smooth but I might replace those if I'm all caught up before spring rolls around. Gonna get carbs back together and synced this week and start wiring ignition/charging I hope

I was rocking it all around in every direction pretty good, didn't seem to have any play, also the steering stem seems pretty smooth but I might replace those if I'm all caught up before spring rolls around. Gonna get carbs back together and synced this week and start wiring ignition/charging I hope

Hi greasy,
best you check the swingarm pivot to make sure that the steel sleeve is locked tight in the frame like it should be.
Book sez a maximum of 0.015" and a minimum of 0.002" sideplay so zero play ain't right.
And then check the headraces. With luck the dreaded PO already swapped them for Timkens.
If not, you should. What I found when I swapped mine was that if you don't carefully remove the top ring of balls
right away one of them will fall down between the steering stem and the head tube and jam the stem in there
and it takes serious BFH time to pound the thing loose.

Hi greasy,
best you check the swingarm pivot to make sure that the steel sleeve is locked tight in the frame like it should be.
Book sez a maximum of 0.015" and a minimum of 0.002" sideplay so zero play ain't right.
And then check the headraces. With luck the dreaded PO already swapped them for Timkens.
If not, you should. What I found when I swapped mine was that if you don't carefully remove the top ring of balls
right away one of them will fall down between the steering stem and the head tube and jam the stem in there
and it takes serious BFH time to pound the thing loose.
Hey Fred thanks for dropping in. Okayy so there was a tiny bit of play, I should have been more specific. Not enough to register on the old loose-o-meter but depending on how much snow we get it might end up on the list. Thanks for the heads up about the escaping bearings too

IMG_3524.JPG
Okay, carbs are back together now with fresh gaskets, 27.5 pilots and 130 mains, float height adjusted and bench synced. Also got the new seat mocked up, more pics to come with better light once it's tightened up.
IMG_3525.JPG
Also, i ordered my gaskets from https://www.xs650shop.com/ at ~5 dollars each and they came as full rebuild kits! Not the right kit for my carbs, but a sweet deal if they match your set up! Just a PSA
IMG_3526.JPG

Yup - I'm not an expert on the early models but all of what is in the photos looks like '76 or later stuff to me....

Anyhow - welcome Greasy and keep those photos coming!

Pete
Thanks Pete, I've decided there's no point in trying to date the bike at this point, just gotta research the hell out of everything for compatibility before I buy haha. Good thing so many parts are interchangeable :cheers:

Did you do a slide drop test before you disassembled them
Hey Jim, got everything back together and did what I believe is a drop test... pushed slides all the way up and covered the bean-shaped hole with my finger, got 7 seconds on both left and right sides. Does that sound right?

There's no point in trying to date the bike at this point, just gotta research the hell out of everything for compatibility before I buy haha.

You got a good attitude about it all. Just keep your finds documented for future reference. We all know how forgetfull we get when all the excitement is over. :whistle:

You got a good attitude about it all. Just keep your finds documented for future reference. We all know how forgetfull we get when all the excitement is over. :whistle:
Thanks superjet, yeah you hit the nail on the head about proper documentation. It's not a strong suit but it's going to have to be now, might have to turn the gas tank into a notepad soon

got 7 seconds on both left and right sides. Does that sound right?
That sounds a bit marginal to me.... might be OK. At least it's not a massive leak. ;) Mine take about 20-30 seconds. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

A slide leak can also come from the enrichment circuit. Try cycling the choke lever a few times and then firmly hold it closed while you do the slide test. See if that improves the times.

That sounds a bit marginal to me.... might be OK. At least it's not a massive leak. ;) Mine take about 20-30 seconds. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

A slide leak can also come from the enrichment circuit. Try cycling the choke lever a few times and then firmly hold it closed while you do the slide test. See if that improves the times.
No difference, but the bike always idled fine, albeit some sputtering here and there. Maybe I'll invest in a set of JBM replacements but for now it is what it is! Good to know im below spec though, they're on the ever growing list! Thanks again Jim

Good to know im below spec though,
I'm not sure you are below spec. I'm not a carb expert.....I honestly don't know. They're definitely faster than mine. That's why I wish someone else would jump in here...

Back