First time rehab of a 1976ish basket case

Should I cut down front fender or leave it?

• Total voters
IMG_3485.JPG
image.jpg
IMG_3487.JPG
Today's been hectic, just got in the door (I leave for work at 3:15am) but I pulled the floats I had soaking in salt n vinegar and gave them a once-over with the new waterproof rotary brush... neutralized with baking soda before pouring everything in the sink at once to make a volcano. cleaned up good enough for me. This evening I'll be using colorizing and simplifying the factory diagram since everything needs to be exact and specific for me to be able to follow it

Personally i prefer to crimp the wire and then a drop of solder if wanted........Connector will actually grab and hold the wire, if soldered first then the connector only wraps against the solder
Exactly right. Crimp first then just a tiny drop of solder. As soon as it starts to flow.... stop.

You might find this thread in wiring handy... http://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-harness-musings.18925/ ....Personally i prefer to crimp the wire and then a drop of solder if wanted........Connector will actually grab and hold the wire, if soldered first then the connector only wraps against the solder

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Electrical Shop/Wiring/Basics/Basic_wiring.html
Thanks 650, I actually read a bunch of that thread before I joined the forum, but I'll go through more thoroughly as I close in on wiring day. I assumed that if you heated to the right temp, the tinned wire's solder would fuse to the fresh bead on top. Everything's getting heatshrinked.. shrunk... shrunken.. anyway I'm just being anal. I'll do some experiments and post results with rudimentary pull tests when I start

Thanks 650, I actually read a bunch of that thread before I joined the forum, but I'll go through more thoroughly as I close in on wiring day. I assumed that if you heated to the right temp, the tinned wire's solder would fuse to the fresh bead on top. Everything's getting heatshrinked.. shrunk... shrunken.. anyway I'm just being anal. I'll do some experiments and post results with rudimentary pull tests when I start
Never mind, that's two more experienced minds (yours and jims) both saying to solder post-crimp, so instructions i shall follow

IMG_3490.JPG
So this is the first draft of colorized wiring diagram. It's just the xs2 diagram copied out of the clymer, colorized really poorly! But it's components most closely match the wiring on the bike. I don't have tach or dummy lights yet but I'll wire for them in case i decide to add later. Anything look wrong? Aside from looking like a 6yr old drew it?

Just about all diagrams have the red wire from the regulator splitting off to the ignition and then a fuse before the battery. Should be red wire from regulator through a fuse to the battery and run to the ignition as a split off there.......

Not sure if the starter button blue/white wire should run to the safety relay.........

Blue/white from the solenoid to the starter button. When the button is pushed it contacts a ground and starts.....

Last edited:
No, those no-hole pilots you found are not compatible with your carbs. They are actually a no-hole version of a BS30/96 type pilot and you need VM22/210 pilots.

Just about all diagrams have the red wire from the regulator splitting off to the ignition and then a fuse before the battery. Should be red wire from regulator through a fuse to the battery and run to the ignition as a split off there.......

Not sure if the starter button blue/white wire should he connected to the safety relay.........think it should be to an earth.........???
For that red wire, did you mean coming from rectifier? In that case, do you mean ign hot should come from the battery side of the fuse?

As for the safety relay, I'm gonna keep reading and researching until I can either concur or disagree, but for now we'll say you're right, since you probably are :umm: also that is a wayyy tidier and official looking diagram, definitely seen it before! 10/10 does not look like a 6 year old drew it

Last edited:
Revised and finished the Diagram with the second stop switch and power, (red), to safety relay and renamed solenoid and start switch
It's starting to make sense. Gonna take me some time, virtually no electrical experience. Methodically reading thru every wiring write up I can find until things start to look less like a foreign language. Thanks 650 :cheers:

been working on this XS2 wiring diagram...........

Any faults found please advise to revise...

You found the missing front stoplamp switch. Good.

The fusing for the battery is correct in the original diagram.
The battery is capable of dumping hundreds of amps to shorts in the wiring, so must be fused. The rectifier can only put out a dozen or so amps, not enuff to fry wiring or blow a fuse.
Like this:
XS2-TX650-Battery.jpg

Wiring diagrams for these early models have a problem depicting the blue taillight wiring. A bit confusing, but only the taillight is powered in the "park" position, yet it and the instrument bulbs are all powered when headlights are on. The factory diagram shows only the blue taillight wire coming from the ignition switch's "park" position, yet no provision to power the taillight with the instrument lights. I have yet to see a wiring diagram that explains this. I had this figured out long ago, but it's gone.

I see you've also modified the starter button.
Here's another excerpt of the XS2-TX650 starting circuit, with the safety relay.

XS2-TX650-Starting.jpg

Last edited:
I removed the diagrams to save confusion. I started a thread asking about this as well. I will work through there...........

Are you saying the Yellow from the alternater doesn't continuously power through the Safety relay to the brown wire onto the Red/white wire.......??

Would the blue wire from the bar switch on/of switch, connect up to the taillight off the Blue meter light circuit ??

Back