First XS650, yep I'm the new guy.

dpawl31

XJ Convert
Reaction score
Hey guys, just picked up an 81.

Not sure what model, not sure what they made in 81.
I am having my friend let me know what the model code is on the frame (it's in his garage right now)

Anyway, picked it up for $180.
Battery was nearly bone dry. Added water, charged for 20 minutes off my car, and is holding 11.8v already. I think it's gonna take a charge once I get a real charger.
That being said - it starts off the kick in only a few kicks (3-4, once I get a good kick, haha)

It runs great. I was going to pull the carbs but it seems to be a pain, even worse than my old XJ650 (inline 4, 4 carbs)

Any tips on getting the carbs out?

I have done a lot of work with two difference XJ's (an 83 SECA and an 82 MAXIM)
So I know what I am doing as far as inside the carbs goes, for the most part.

Electrically, I won't know where it stands 100% until I get a good charged battery. Right now the right blinkers only work when it's revved up a bit or on cables charging.
Left don't work at all. The indicator doesn't either, which leads me to believe it's just a dirty switch and not a big issue.

There was a wire the PO ran from the "LIGHTS" fuse, straight to one leg of the headlight. I pulled it off, and the headlight still works... any ideas what they were trying to accomplish?
Other than that, wiring is 100% stock except wired in fuse holders which I will be replacing.

Bike needs new blinkers, and side covers.

I would like to go LED on the tail light and blinkers, any tips? I know with my XJ they said to avoid it because you'll lose auto cancel after switching to an LED relay. Same on the XS?
How about the tail light, anything I have to do besides swap it out?

Oh and as far as pulling the carbs, I read that I should remove the cam chain tensioner cover, a) how to I use the tensioner properly, and b) when I spin the outer nut, the whole thing moves, I don't have a big enough ratchet to hold the inner one. Any tips?

Thanks guys, hope to become a valid member of this club!

PS - registered NH license plate will probably BADXS :) hehe...

hi welcome this is a great site so much info form some great guys not only will you find out what to do but you will hear what not to do on here too so what part of nh are you from?

I believe in 81 there were two models the special II and the Heritage Special. the Heritage Special has an unusual double spoke pattern. It doesn't matter much which you have outside of cosmetics, the engines and nearly everything else is the same.

get a crescent wrench big enough for that jam nut on the tensioner, or a socket for it. 30mm i believe. You'll need it

Thanks guys, FYI I am from Southern NH. I live in Manchester, but the bike is currently stored, and nearly always worked on at my friends house in Derry. His shed, ALL my tools. haha.

As for Heritage vs Special II, well, I can't find any way to use the #'s on the bike to verify either, and I have no side covers so... the heritage is the one with the mag style wheels right, 5 spokes silver/black? Because mine has straight up spokes, so I assume Special II?

Is it all the same aside from trim basically?

As for the link to the thread thank you, going through it now.

Any suggestions on very cheap, preferably new blinkers?
Like I said, would like to go LED, regardless of losing auto cancel (I always cancel out of habit anyway)

Thanks again guys! Can't wait to get it roadworthy! If I can figure out if no blinkers is allowed in NH... It'll be real soon! Gotta learn the hand signals I guess haha.

In 1981, Yamaha produced a 650 Special, which was equipped with cast aluminum wheels. They also produced a Special II in 1981, which was equipped with spoked rims and less chrome than the Special (and it was offered at a lower price). The Heritage Special was introduced in 1982.

auto cancel worked great on my XJ, but I never used it lol.
Any LED info I need? Like a certain post type? Probably going on EBAY.

MikesXS... can't seem to find air filters?

Danno, thanks for that info! So it's a Special II.

PS - what's the deal with all the oil filters!?
Sump. Regular Filter..and an oil filter screen?
3, really? lol

Hmmm... all the NOS filters I find on ebay (air not oil) are, well, OLD... and look like they are ready to break down and fall apart.
Why can't I just use some basic air filter foam, cut to shape, oil it and call it a day? Where could I buy such a thing? :D

any led that's 12v and 1156 will do.

Air filters are under chassis, i believe.

Oil filters, there are two stock. Sump screen, and side screen (the crescent moon shaped one). The paper one is a replacement for the aftermarket Heiden kit that replaces the side screen.

dpawl31, the part number for air filters for your '81 through mikesxs is 15-0655, and they are $24 each. I think you maybe able to rework your existing filters, and if I recall correctly, Dennis Kirk carries filter material. What color is your bike? I have a set of body side covers that have the stock burgundy/purple paint, with the original Special II decals intact. The covers are nearly perfect, and have no cracks, broken tabs, or other damage. Feel free to pm me for a price, if you are interested.

Thank you so much Sundie!

So, I really only need to inspect the sump one, and replace the moon shape one?

As for LED, I am not replacing just the bulb, the entire assembly.
I know it will take some modding, but I am looking at these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-x-...7429940QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-X-...7878881QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chro...1774341QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...5231732QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Danno thanks for the filter #'s. I currently have NO FILTERS, hence I need them!

As for the side covers, well my bike is black. Butttt I will be painting the tank @ some point, it's very cracked up.
PM me with a price for the covers (shipped) and I'll see what I can do. Right now, they are not that important. Have to fund the blinkers, filters (air+oil) and see what else arises. The battery seems like it will hold up, but I have to buy a charger first! :D

Oh, can anyone link me to a cheap 2 prong electronic relay that will work for LED turn signals AND fit the bike? I don't even know where it is yet.

dpawl31- I don't have LEDs but I think this flasher will work with them too. I got this at my local Advance Auto parts store for around $10. Here is the old and the new. The old one, at least on my 77, was located under the tank up against the steering head. The canceler is right there too. The old one is three terminals..one going to the canceler. My new one is two terminals. Just don't plug it into the one the goes to the canceler if you are going to remove it. If you can get the VIN I'll betcha we can get you a wiring diagram that will help you. Also a link to a manual. Hope this helps.
http://www.knucklebusterinc.com/tech/XS650.pdf
0723091249.jpg

0723091249a.jpg

Last edited:
Aircleaners;
I use lawn mower prefilter foam wrapped around the stock air cleaner core and held in place with light wire. Lightly oiled it seams fine for road duty, dirt or gravel roads not so much maybe. Poor man's K&N I guess.

Back