fork oil change?

- raise front wheel off ground .. axle stand is good

- remove caps - put between 164-172 mls oil in each side..same ammount in each
- pump slowly
- check o-rings and install fork caps .. 36 ft-lb

This may be a dumb question, but is it necessary to pump the fork legs after you add oil, before you put the fork caps back in?

Cheers!
Arf.

Not necessarily, not if you are adding a pre-measured amount to each leg. If you were setting the oil level in each leg by measuring its height then yes, you would want to pump the forks to displace any air bubbles and settle the oil as low as it will go.

Speaking of oil amount, these forks work better if you use a bit more than the 172ml (about 5.8oz.) spec. I run about 7 ounces per leg in mine.

Thanks!

I had drained, and added 160mls with Mikes progressive springs to my 34mm forks, just wasn't clear if it was necessary to pump to dispel any trapped air.

Arf

I would suggest that once you drain the oil, refill with about 8 ounces of kerosene or diesel fuel. Install caps, pump the forks up and down. Drain out the kero/diesel. Repeat as needed till the kero comes out clean. Allow to drain over night, then refill as suggested.
I use the 6 inches down from the top of tube method. This works about the same as the 7.5 ounces mentioned.
This higher amount of oil gives the forks a bit of an air fork action. The air acts as a preload. This helps prevent fork dive when braking.
Leo

One more thing, experiment with different weights of oil. Thinner oil lets the forks respond faster to bumps. Thicker oil slows the response.
Doing the Minton Mods is a good thing. It lets the forks respond to road surfaces much better.
Using straight rate spring works better than progressive springs.
Leo

Back