Oil change question ??

westfall50

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
New to this site. Get me started right. I want to change the oil on my 81 650SH. I have read all the posts regarding sump etc.
Some details please...What is the proper tool, size to remove right side oil filter cover..the two bolts. A hex type wrench. What is best not to strip it? Impact tool?
also... the conversion kit ( from Mikes )for the right hand side oil filter seems like not a bad choice...expensive yes I under stand, yet use of paper filters seems easy. Thoughts.
Lastly and I apologize for not being able to find this...where do I buy gaskets for RH side cover and does Sump need new gasket also?.. and crush washers?..where ? Thank you . I await all your knowledge.

An M5 Allen is the size for the side filter bolts. You shouldn't need an impact. They're only M6 bolts that take 6 or 7 ft/lbs of torque. I don't think you could make them tight enough to require an impact for removal without stripping them first. Mike's has all the gaskets you need and crush rings for the two drain plugs too. Yes, the bottom sump filter plate requires a gasket.

Personally, I don't see the need for the paper filter conversion, as long as you change the oil and clean the filters frequently enough. Most of us go 1000 to 1500 miles between changes.

Back