Free flow tapered muffler?

1980 xs650special

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Alright, so i'm pretty new to the xs world. Just bought my first this past summer, and focused on just getting it to be a reasonably reliable ride on a virtually non-existent budget.
Now I am starting to conceptualize some mods and am looking for some new mufflers. I like the look of the 'free flow, tapered tip' muffler from mike's.

Now just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or insights as to what I might encounter if I were to put these on a basically stock bike. I'm sure that I'll need to do some carb adjustment, but like I said i'm pretty green with this stuff...so any suggestions would be great!

Some pretty sweet bikes on this site, providing lots of inspiration! Keep it up!

Hi there,it sounds like you are getting on the right track contemplating new exhaust system.In my opinion by adding the tapered turbos (straight thru) mufflers you will get the best sound these bikes can produce.When I did my 650's this is one of the 1st things I changed along with installing K N air filters.by adding these 2 items the engine will be able to breathe.To prevent lean out I increased the main jet one size up by taking them out and going to my nearest carb place who usually drilled them while I wait,and at no charge,so it pays to shop local where possible.Another couple of items to look at are the tapered head stem bearings and bronze swing arm bushes.All of these items are available on here anyway.
To feel the difference as to what I'm talking about is ride the bike before making the changes and after.
Live To Ride
Ride To Live.

Well good to know that i'm on the right track...I wanted to make the bike a little louder but not deafeningly loud without mufflers. Again i'm pretty green to all this, but are the K N filters a pod style? I have already increased the pilot jet to improve idling. Can I expect some messing with sizes to get the right size on the main jet? Or was it pretty straightforward when you increased just one size?
Finally, you lost me with the tapered head stem bearings...could you explain?
Thanks much!

Yes they are a pod filter and if U R considering using them then you'll need to make up some support brackets to hold the carbs in place(they are dam heavy buggers).The stock air box is part of the carb support.
I used K N because they are a washable item and reusable.Why did U go up on your pilot?
And how much,from what to what?Did U have any joy?I upped my main jet to prevent lean out at cruising,highway speed.The head stem bearings are covered on here somewhere but take it from me they are worth it.Don't forget to get the sprockets ratio,thyat's also on here.Take care.

I used Mike's 2:1 headers with that muffler - Looked sweet and was a bit too loud for me, but that's a personal choice probably just right for most people. Maybe using two would sound better

IMG_1888.jpg

I upped the pilot jet because I was having some trouble getting rid of some popping and choppiness at idle to about 1/4 throttle, someone on here suggested it and it seemed to work out pretty slick! I upped it from the standard 42.5 in my bike to a set of 45's. Took care of the popping and really smoothed out my low end throttle! I shall have to look into those pods...sounds like a good system! Is there any good way to know how far I have to up my main jets if I decide to go with this? Or is it just kind of trial and error?

Thanks for the visual on the pipes as well jim, I really like the look of them!

As always, thanks for all the good info!

If you use pod air filters, rain is an insurmountable enemy, I would think. But I think I've read it all supports itself ok if you use the stock carb mount with the metal ring on it.

I upped the pilot jet because I was having some trouble getting rid of some popping and choppiness at idle to about 1/4 throttle, someone on here suggested it and it seemed to work out pretty slick! I upped it from the standard 42.5 in my bike to a set of 45's. Took care of the popping and really smoothed out my low end throttle! I shall have to look into those pods...sounds like a good system! Is there any good way to know how far I have to up my main jets if I decide to go with this? Or is it just kind of trial and error?

Thanks for the visual on the pipes as well jim, I really like the look of them!

As always, thanks for all the good info!
Sometimes finding the correct jet size can be trial and error and in your case it sounds like U R on top of it and that's the main thing.What may work for your bike may not work on another.A good way to check to see if the engine is running lean or too rich is the spark plug test.A black or sooty plug indicates too rich and a grey/tan colour is what you want.You can always drill more out but u can't put it back.Another way to check is to run your finger around the inside of the pipe/s and see what colour it is.

Well its good to hear that you had luck with the stock jets, not sure if mine will be a little different since I am running dual pipes, but we shall have to see! Too bad winter has set in and I'll have to wait to do any real tests...but hopefully I can use this time to redo a few needed parts and start some of the cosmetics!

I have ran the K&N pods for a couple years and had a slight off idle hesitation, not bad just a bit annoying. I heard that the Uni-filter eliminates this. The tapered pods don't flow air as smoothly as the straight Uni-filter. I have the uni-filters but the snow on the road has kept me from riding, so I can't say for sure.

XSLeo: Have you done any work to the carbs to try and rectify such a problem? Any changing of jet sizes? I'm just trying to get as much feedback as possible to see if i'll have to do much monkeying to get these to work. I know alot of bikes are different, but I'm just trying to see if there are any reacurring trends.

Heres a question...and it may be a dumb one...but is it pretty much a universal truth that if I opened up the exhaust more with these mufflers that i'd need to go to pods? Wondering if anyone has ever run them with the stock airbox, or maybe i'd just be better off with the pods anyway...?

XSLeo: Have you done any work to the carbs to try and rectify such a problem? Any changing of jet sizes? I'm just trying to get as much feedback as possible to see if i'll have to do much monkeying to get these to work. I know alot of bikes are different, but I'm just trying to see if there are any reacurring trends.

Heres a question...and it may be a dumb one...but is it pretty much a universal truth that if I opened up the exhaust more with these mufflers that i'd need to go to pods? Wondering if anyone has ever run them with the stock airbox, or maybe i'd just be better off with the pods anyway...?
How would open these mufflers up more they are straight through? You can run them with pods, air box, Uni. Pods look cool easy to service - don't do well when riding in the rain, but still functional.

I've tried mains from 130 - 137.5, pilots from 37.5 - 50. The needle in every slot.
The most I could do was move the hesitation up and down a few hundred rpms.
I'll try the uni-filters.
I have a set of BS34's to experiment with.
I'll get back to it when the weather gets better.
As far as Mufflers most select them for looks and sound, performance gains are secondary. You can use any intake and exhaust together, just tune the carbs accordingly.
To improve the performance A free flowing intake and exhaust are a big step up, tuning the carbs will be necessary. Depending on the performance you want will effect the exhaust you use. Race cams and bigger carbs tend to put the gains more to the upper end of the rpm range. Milder cams with stock carbs will keep the gains more in the rpm range you can use on the street.
It all depends on what you want. A bit louder with a look you like is a good place to start. If you stay with the stock air box and add a good looking exhaust you won't need as much carb tuning. Adding a pod filter with a stock exhaust will not need much carb tuning. Adding both needs a bit more tuning. Nothing too hard to do, it just takes time to get right.
With todays gas, even a stock bike can use a bit of carb tuning.

XSJohns airbox mods don't work on a 75 air box. I have the airboxes that go with the BS34 carbs, I don't know if they would fit on a 75. With the electrical mods the stock airboxes won't fit.

Back