Fresh rebuild and no top end oil

Reid

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just finished up a rebuild rephase, 700, web cam, radius valve job, screw on filter conversion, etc etc... So I started it last night for the first time on the engine stand and ran it for a minute or so. When I pulled a rocker cover it didnt look like any more oil had made its way there, so I removed the oil line and there was nearly no oil in it. I did prime it to the filter before I put it on, and I did have a small leak at the oil line fitting after I ran it. I think I have fixed the fitting leak but havent tried to run it again. I understand that these bikes dont move a lot of oil but I still expected to see a little in the head after running it. Anyone else had this before?

If you started up a fresh rebuild and ran it only a minute or so it may have not gotten oil fuuly up to the head. The restricktion in the fitting in the case where the oil line hooks isn't very big. The oil line is very big. It may take a few minutes to fill the line.
Try taking off one valve adjuster cover and running the engine. No oil may come out at first but after a few minutes you should get oil coming out.
It will make a mess but you will know for sure oil is there.
A cleaner way would be to loosen one of the banjo bolts holding the oil line to the head.
Leo

Back