From Trashy to Classy

Beantownmick

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hows it going guys new to the page. Name is Mack im 25 from R.I Just picked up this 83 bobber that has seen way batter days. Doesnt run right now but figured id take on a challenge. Plan on getting it running making sure everything is good then tearing it down and going through the whole thing and rebuildinging it. This will kind of be my build thread/ introduction

This is what the rat looks like currently

Attachments

• received_10155098658164009.jpeg
    received_10155098658164009.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 165
  • received_10155098657849009.jpeg
    received_10155098657849009.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 185
From one former Beantown resident to another, welcome to the forum, Mack.
You've got your hands full, but I'm sure it will be a satisfying build.

Good luck and happy wrenching!

welcome. Watch out for fred, he wont approve of the small front drum. Since its already 'tailed, Do whatever you want its your bike.

welcome. Watch out for fred, he wont approve of the small front drum. Since its already 'tailed, Do whatever you want its your bike.
Hi angus, if you check out the photo on post #3 you'll see that young Mick already has plans to add a stock XS650 front drum to his build.
Me, I'd consider using a double sided 2LS drum from an early Suzuki Water Buffalo.
That, or buying that un-papered stock frame that was recently posted about, dropping all the '83 parts in it and doing some creative headstock swapping..

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts and advice. I have always been around bikes. Family are harley riders i started on streetbikes like most younger guys. But this will be something different for me. I never really looked into these bikes until the opportunity came up so forgive my ignorance. I dont know much about them so i have alot to learn. And dont worry i take criticism well and with a grain of salt. I like building things for me and not the approval of others, if someone disagrees with a direction or choice ive made it doesnt bother me

Back