Function of side covers

Stone Hands

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an XS2. My question is this regarding side covers. Other than the obvious appearance of side covers and the covering of the filters do the side covers themselves perform any function? Are they designed to draw air in to the carb in any fashion. Reason I ask is, if using K&N pods with carb extensions, could the side covers be modified to help draw in more air. Scoop, air holes ect? Stop laughing I was just curious.

I modified this set of covers awhile back and drilled some extra holes in the stock air boxes behind the filter. I figured some extra air couldn't hurt. Not sure if it made any difference though.

Attachments

• DSCN0314 (800x600).jpg
    DSCN0314 (800x600).jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 72
I wanted to put a little attitude in my side covers too. I decided to make them look like functional intakes using stainless steel woven wire cloth.

I will use the stock airbox assembly behind the covers so they are for the most part 'just for lookin at'.

Any comments are appreciated...there is still time to tweak em.

Attachments

• 650 Side Cover 1.jpg
    650 Side Cover 1.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 58
  • Side Cover 4.jpg
    Side Cover 4.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Side Cover 5.jpg
    Side Cover 5.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 58
Side covers keep some of the rain and road grime off your electricals. I want to bling mine up also with some sort of stainless screen, but i will most likely have a solid plate behind screen.

I wanted to put a little attitude in my side covers too. I decided to make them look like functional intakes using stainless steel woven wire cloth.

I will use the stock airbox assembly behind the covers so they are for the most part 'just for lookin at'.

Any comments are appreciated...there is still time to tweak em.
I like it. Gives it a whole new look.

Back