Funny Story

XSJoel

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So I have a house across the street where an elderly woman lived, but she recently moved. My mother goes to a fitness center with other elderly women and one mentioned to my mother that the woman's husband had an old motorcycle, so my mother suggested that I ask her son when I saw him over there. Well today I saw her son, so my father walks over and strikes up a conversation. We get to talking and ask about the motorcycle. The guy takes us to the shed in the back and shows us none other than a Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special. Gave it a kick and it wasn't seized and had some compression, but everything had a decent bit of rust. Then I found out that I can get it with the title. So I offered $200 and am waiting for the son to talk it over with his mother.

Yeah thanks. I was expecting it to be a nice older bike from before the 80's and I honestly expected it to be long gone. No idea what direction to take with it, but we will see if I get it.

That's awesome! I have a similar story about two titled KZ440s for $100. Awesome, but you know you were crossing your fingers for a knucklehead :)

That's awesome! I have a similar story about two titled KZ440s for $100. Awesome, but you know you were crossing your fingers for a knucklehead :)

Oh totally. I was hoping for an old Indian or a Pan or something, but I honestly felt that the bike was long gone. So I was semi excited to see an old XS. I did go over to a guy's house I go to school with and he has an old Indian that was his father's before he passed. Frame is powdercoated, engine parts are all nice and bead blasted, but the internals are sitting there rotting to shit.

I found my '80SG like that. Was at my mother-in-laws house, and the neighbor behind her was cutting down some huge evergreen trees that were separating the properties. A few days later I was back over there, and with the trees gone, could now see more into the neighbors backyard. There, leaning against his shed, was the '80. It had been there for years, and I never saw it because of those stupid trees. I went over, checked out the bike, and found that it kicked over just fine. I talked to the guy, and took the bike home the next day for $300. No title, but I easily got one here in Minnesota.

Might have to consider prowling around peoples yards at night from now on, looking for those XS's.....

Good luck with your find!

Thanks. Just waiting on the son to get with his mother and get back to me. He seemed pretty sure we had a deal. Can't wait to see.

Back