Gas Cap Gauge for the early 70-73 Tank

For reference, here's the parts excerpt for the 70-73 tanks.

70-72-Tank01.jpg 70-72-Tank02.jpg 70-72-Tank03.jpg 70-72-TankCap.jpg

As usual, i am blown away by your incredible craftsmanship and ingenuity. As59 says, it looks stock. I cannot imagine the amount of time and thought you have invested in this. Your brain functions on an all-together different plane than my feeble mental capacities. I applaud your craftsmanship 2M !!

2M - that is a remarkable piece of innovation - truly impressive! It really DOES look like a factory part - and one that Yamaha could have used to elbow Honda with their silly CB750 Four and Kawasaki with that ridiculous Z1-900 - right out of the way! ;)

....and for his next project, 2M does some work on the kitchen for Mrs. 2M.....
DieselKit.jpg

Wow, you wore a few of your hats on this project 2M!
Industrial designer, machinist and toolmaker, watchmaker, instrumentation tech, hydraulics engineer, graphic designer, hhmmm, missed some I'm sure.......

Well and nicely done!

Nicely done Steve!!:)
I like the runout gauge mount on the quick change block. Added to my list of "stuff to make."

Last edited:
Oh, my. Such a plethora of "atta-boys". Thanx, guyz.

There's a boatload of talented/skilled folks in here, and I'm just trying to keep up. Yeah, this thing was a bit of a challenge, with a bit of nighttime toss/turning.

Haha, love that V8-powered line-shaft kitchen upgrade, Pete. Trying to imagine what can be done with 80hp worth of blender. The garbage disposal could probably handle my tree trimmings. Run the truck thru the dishwasher.

Watch out for that Banggood offering, it may be marked-up in metric...

One of the things I really like about the early XS's is the "old school" approach as to how they are built. Only two fluids, gas and oil. Simplistic electrical systems. And cables for most all controls. You have really held true to that thought, nice work!

Back