Gear trouble. Do I have to split the case again?

Hardfahrer

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello.
I have an 81 xs650.
Just finished putting Mikes xs taller 5th gear in. After putting the case back together I spun the sprocket and went through the gears with the motor out of the bike and on the bench. All seemed to work well.
Side note, I put new clutch plates etc. in as well.
Reassembled the engine and Bike. Motor runs like a hummingbird. On the center stand with the engine at idle I went through the gears. It came out of neutral and into first nicely. Beyond that, I'm not sure if it was shifting. Clutch was working though. ha. It seems now that it is not shifting up or down.
Anyone have any ideas on what i've done wrong and how to fix it or check for mistakes.
If I have to split the case again, I have a fresh 81 xs650 for sale. Best offer.
Thank you

Did you put the little springs on the shifter arm where it engages the drum carrying the shifter forks? You have to take off the clutch cover to see. This is the mechanism that actually ratches the drum back and forth, and if the spring isn't there or broken, it won't work properly.

Honestly having done the 5th gear on mine, the transmission is actually kind of hard to screw up. If it works, it's assembled properly. Would be difficult to assemble the cogs, shifter forks etc. incorrectly and actually get the transmission to sit in the cases.

Tim,
I assumed the same thing on it being hard to screw up and it not fitting if assembled wrong.
I'll be honest though, I'm not 100% sure on the spring. But it sounds logical and would beat tearing down the engine and splitting the case, so I'll give it a go.
What are your thoughts on the taller fifth? Worth it?
Thanks for the response.

Back