gears

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
ok.a strange one . did the 8 plate clutch conversion with hi /low ratio primery gear.works well.but 1 prob works well all the time unless I park the bike with the back wheel pointing 90 degs to the curb,ie on the steeper slope .then have trouble finding neutral to start bike and when i finally put into/find neutral and start bike wont engage 1st or 2nd gear.feels like going into gear but doesn't/thought at first may have been foot lever moving on shaft (brand new lever and shaft) but isn't that(tighten them up) rest of time gears/clutch work well:banghead: this was a open case rebuild which included a set of later model gear assembly

Hi Flea,

There's a couple of important springs on the clutch side of the gear shaft that could be affecting your problem. I'd suggest searching the forum for other people's problems with those springs to see if the symptoms are similar.

10076021543_39256df919_b.jpg

...then have trouble finding neutral to start bike ...

??? Do you park the bike with the trans in gear?

So, the rear wheel is abutted to the curb, and trans in gear? Probably got the dogs binding in the slots, and you're trying to pull a gear outta engagement while it's still torqued. Could be finding a false neutral, and the shift claw hasn't completed its cycle. Might could check the neutral detent plunger, make sure it's rounded and smooth, and its spring...

thanks phil /..no. 2many not parked into curb but a couple of feet off but still with the steep angle so left in gear to prevent rolling back (had short kickstand with a block of wood under it due to replacing 10 1/2 in shocks to normal length shocks without replacing with longer kickstand,now replaced) was suggested bearings on gear shaft maybe bit worn so with the bike at angle gears maybe slightly out of alinment (those 2 bearings did not replace due to looking ok).. possible ? any other ideas ..neutral detent plunger ?? wheres that ... isn't sorting out a new radical motor fun

Back