Getting acquainted...

What ever makes you feel comfortable and safe.........

I have mentioned my concern about the top before. Glad someone else has concerns as well. .............It is not easy to manhandle a bike up onto ramps, even with help. Painted steel checker plate is very slippery, but usually they are on a lift ramp so the bike is tied down before the lift is raised

5twins, thank you. One things for sure, I won't be riding the bike up there. LOL. Just gonna use it as a work station. And for the most part it will be tied down. Won't be long now. ⛩

What ever makes you feel comfortable and safe.........

I have mentioned my concern about the top before. Glad someone else has concerns as well. .............It is not easy to manhandle a bike up onto ramps, even with help. Painted steel checker plate is very slippery, but usually they are on a lift ramp so the bike is tied down before the lift is raised

Thanks 650. Good advice

Welcome to the site. Lots of good advice already given . Design it put it down on paper. Some real show quality bikes have been built on this site. Read their threads. See what other builders have done. Do a build thread. Good luck rubber side down. :cheers:
Love the site. I've been doing a lot of reading here on the site, some of the threads are really good. Thanks for the tips! I appreciate that.

Hello everyone, been a while...Well I finally brought the bike into the house and have it in the room. Next, get it up on the stand. It's gonna be fun! I'll let you all know how it goes.
Just a little side note, I would like to thank all those who contribute to this forum. Over the last two months I've done a lot of reading throughout this forum. Some amazing skills, beautiful work, and great articulate explanations throughout. Outstanding!

0F7BB1A9-BE3D-49B7-B9AD-B20F45655F70.jpeg Well I finally managed to get my XS up on my stand. I made this thing last September and this is where I’m at as of today. I’m going to transfer title, and get it registered with a set of license plates.

5610CB3E-4732-44DC-9533-D14AED98C600.jpeg I purchased four of these casters so I can move the stand around inside the room. My thoughts were I can pull it off the wall when I’m not working on it, and then, back to the wall when I’m not. They lift the rack 3/4 of an inch, and work great. Easy up, and easy down. Definitely worth the money.

EBA824E2-DAE1-4FDB-85EB-5BD31B3BEACA.jpeg And of coarse I had to dig out my basic roll cabinet. Simple beginnings for building my first bike. I’m going to learn a lot I’m sure, but I’m gonna have a lot of fun doing it, why I waited till now I don’t know. I’m totally enthused!

Hey gang! Happy Saturday to everyone here on XS650.com. I’m looking for some opinions on welding on my hardtail. I originally had thought to strip the entire bike and weld on the hard tail. But, I have seen many builds where the engine remains installed. Any thoughts on one procedure verses the other? One way or another I would like to make an informed choice. Thank you all in advance!

It is your bike of course, but....how about not doing the hardtail until you’ve ridden the bike in stock condition.....

XS650s really are great bikes for booting around and with a full suspension they can be ridden comfortably for hundreds of miles per day.

....just my $0.02.

All I can say is....ooohhhh my achin' back.....

....but to each his own, I guess.

You're repeating yourself again Pete.

KC, weld it with the engine mounted and all of the engine mount bolts in and tight. Also have a spacer between the axle plates, about 1/4" more than the finished width. Welding with electrics installed......I think I have fried stators and regulators while welding before. TC Bros recommends to remove all electrics.

Scott

It is your bike of course, but....how about not doing the hardtail until you’ve ridden the bike in stock condition.....

XS650s really are great bikes for booting around and with a full suspension they can be ridden comfortably for hundreds of miles per day.

....just my $0.02.
Normally that would be a good idea. I’ve been doing just that for many years on many different kinds of bikes. This project is on my bucket list, to build my own custom bike. Sorry Pete! I will build her with passion, and ride her with great enthusiasm!

If a person is committed to restoring a bike, or bobbing a bike, I see it as a waste of time to get it running, etc. before getting drastic with the plan. If you are really committed to the task, then a used engine or other plans of action are always on the table. These options don't have to break the bank either.

Scott

If you are really committed to the task, then a used engine or other plans of action are always on the table. These options don't have to break the bank either.

Scott
As she sits right now, she runs pretty good. After the hard tail goes on then I’m sure I’ll be dropping some more money. But for now, trying to keep it a low budget build.

Back