Getting it back on the road

awafan

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. Noob here with a '72 XS650 completely original. I am going to get this thing back on the road. It happens to be a friend of mines and was last ridden in 97-98. I am sure I will have a ton of questions as I get into this bike.

I don't know very much about these bikes but have been reading and learning! Anyone care to give me some quick highlights? Suggestions, precautions, warnings all are welcome.

Where can I get a good service manual? Would prefer the Yamaha version and am not sure if I can get that through Yamaha.

Are parts in general available still from the dealer? I see ebay has some items. Most of what I am going to need is gaskets, cables, etc. The bike seems to be in pretty good form for sitting so long.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20140111_170906.jpg
    20140111_170906.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 113
Hey Everyone. Noob here with a '72 XS650 completely original. I am going to get this thing back on the road. It happens to be a friend of mines and was last ridden in 97-98. I am sure I will have a ton of questions as I get into this bike.

I don't know very much about these bikes but have been reading and learning! Anyone care to give me some quick highlights? Suggestions, precautions, warnings all are welcome.

Where can I get a good service manual? Would prefer the Yamaha version and am not sure if I can get that through Yamaha.

Are parts in general available still from the dealer? I see ebay has some items. Most of what I am going to need is gaskets, cables, etc. The bike seems to be in pretty good form for sitting so long.

Thanks in advance!

Nice find! I just got one too. Check out mikesxs.com they have lots of parts for these bikes! here's mine.

Attachments

• WP_000260.jpg
    WP_000260.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 142
Welcome to the forum! It looks like you've found a project worth the doing. Check the numerous threads found under "topics" "restoration" which you'll find near the top of the home page. Nearly every question you might have is covered there.

http://www.mikesxs.net/ is a major supplier of most things XS related. Having said that, some of their parts are better than others. Use the forum search feature to discover what others have said about particular items.

roy

Shaggy types faster than I.

Thanks so much. Shaggy yours appears to be the same color as mine but in much better shape! I look forward to finding out more about these bikes and everyone on the forum. Hopefully I can contribute as well someday.

Thanks so much. Shaggy yours appears to be the same color as mine but in much better shape! I look forward to finding out more about these bikes and everyone on the forum. Hopefully I can contribute as well someday.

Mine was pretty dirty when I got it. The pic I posted was at the car wash. yours will probably clean up nicely!

You won't find much of anything from a Yamaha dealer, but it won't hurt to try. Do a thorough forum search as mentioned, and you can find anything you need to know. If you can't, there are many members with bookoo experience with the XS that will be willing to help.
I love the old original bikes. :thumbsup:

Hey Shaggy, nice airhorns! :laugh:

Back