Getting the ‘57 beetle back on the road in 2024

Not sure how this relates to the O₃ machine but we taught in school (aviation) the the three greatest killers of tires (other than wear) are heat, ultraviolet light and Ozone.... in that order.

Got any fresh new tires in there? Might wanna look into it before firing that thing up in a garage? Dunno.... :umm:

I just got off the phone with a friend that used to have a fire restoration business. They use lots of ozone generators. Let me summarize his comments:

- great for eliminating smoke odors
- great for eliminating most odors created by organic compounds - the extra Oxygen atom oxidizes the stinky organic item and renders it odorless
- great because the O3 penetrates very well
- as mentioned above, can kill pets, plants and yourself if not careful
- generally speaking, the bigger the machine, the better. He said, for example, 4 x 25,000 mg / hr machines would not clean as well as one 100,000 mg /hr machine
- as mentioned above: turn on machine, close up the space, return and open doors, windows etc to get a good exchange of fresh air before hanging around in the space
- he cautioned high concentrations of O3 can be 🧨 explosive
- too much ozone - burning / watering eyes and lung irritation - not nice

Imma gonna order one this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up on the tires Jim. I figure I’m ok with the beetle tires - they’re about 55 - 60 years old. My Supra needs tire replacement as the rears are 16 years old so I’m not concerned about them. The bikes all have good rubber so I’ll keep that in mind when firing up the machine. For the inside of the beetle, I suppose I should be concerned about window seals. I’ll give them a good coating of Aerospace 303 dressing before deodorizing.

Last edited:
F5373F71-E176-45D9-9DD7-8DE24BAD23E9.jpeg
0F15D9B5-4865-4692-A108-807944E90FB6.jpeg
2DA43FBD-1E62-4DF0-BEFE-9268ABD96FD3.jpeg
I need to access the pedals inside the car so I started clearing my parts from the inside of the car. I figured I should bolt on a few bits rather than keep moving them around in boxes. Fitted the headlights which were in several dozen pieces and got one signal light on. At this time they are for show and will need to be taken off one more time to confirm wiring. Once the mechanical is done I figure it will be a week to get all the electrics working. I’ll go back at the front brakes tomorrow.
Here’s a glamour shot of the old girl. I straightened the hood trim piece and gave it a quick polish too. 😄.
I was going to bolt the bumper brackets on but they stick out too far and will definitely take out my shin or knee.

I see you have the Wolfsberg Crest on the hood, I was hoping it was missing and I could sell you the one I saved off an old VW years ago!

Left side wiper blade/arm look too long.

I see you have the Wolfsberg Crest on the hood, I was hoping it was missing and I could sell you the one I saved off an old VW years ago!

Left side wiper blade/arm look too long.
Never looked at the wipers before. Maybe they just need to be clocked? What hood crest do you have. I may be interested in it. Please send me a few pics.

A while ago I bought (among many other things), two new bullet turn signals. I went to install them and on both parts, the large nut was siezed onto the stem of the light base. I tried everything from solvents to heat and got one half way off and I ended up breaking the threaded stem of one light. These things are clise to $200 each so I wasn’t impressed. Desperate to be able to use the broken one, I cut the nut with a Dremel tool to increase the ID. I managed to get the nut off. The threaded stem was however in 5 pieces. Fortunately the largest piece still had a full thread on it. I reconstructed the threaded shank by super gluing the bits back onto the bulb holder. I think I’ve ended up with something that will be usable. Here’s a few pics.
IMG_4181.jpeg
IMG_4182.jpeg
IMG_4183.jpeg
IMG_4184.jpeg

IMG_4265.jpeg

Wow Vic, what a beauty! I love the paint too. You are going to have the coolest car in town! We should start taking wagers (not that I'm a betting man) on how many people a day ask you if it is for sale.
Thx. That’s vintage dirt on the car too. It hasn’t been washed or cleaned in at least 50 years!

Never looked at the wipers before. Maybe they just need to be clocked? What hood crest do you have. I may be interested in it. Please send me a few pics.
I don't know the drivers side looks like a different arm and blade assembly.

I"ll attach the pictures here:
Front:

1711318128732.jpeg

Back
1711317861906.jpeg

Looks like the car they cam off was olive green and had some paint work done because the chrome backing plate has some over spray on it. But considering they came off a car that would be about 60 years old they look pretty good! Last time they were on a car would have been the early 1970's.

I don't know the drivers side looks like a different arm and blade assembly.

I"ll attach the pictures here:
Front:

View attachment 273951

Back
View attachment 273949
Looks like the car they cam off was olive green and had some paint work done because the chrome backing plate has some over spray on it. But considering they came off a car that would be about 60 years old they look pretty good! Last time they were on a car would have been the early 1970's.
If you’re interested in selling it pls message me with how much you’d like to get for it. I could have you mail it yo my friend in PA that I’ll be seeing next month. Thx

If you’re interested in selling it pls message me with how much you’d like to get for it. I could have you mail it yo my friend in PA that I’ll be seeing next month. Thx
Make me an offer I can't refuse! Glad to know it can go via PA should save a good amount of shipping costs!

I removed the master cylinder and to reinstall it, it made sense to remove the pedal assembly - clutch, brake, throttle. What a chore! Took a couple of hours to get it out and I was warned to be careful and not drop the clutch cable into the tunnel. With that in mind I carefully dropped the cable into the tunnel😳. Here’s the pedal assembly with decades of grease and gunk. I’ll post pics later of the cleaned up assembly. I need to go fishin’ for that cable.

The lollipop is the gas pedal!

IMG_4187.jpeg
IMG_4193.jpeg
IMG_4190.jpeg

I removed the master cylinder and to reinstall it, it made sense to remove the pedal assembly - clutch, brake, throttle. What a chore! Took a couple of hours to get it out and I was warned to be careful and not drop the clutch cable into the tunnel. With that in mind I carefully dropped the cable into the tunnel😳. Here’s the pedal assembly with decades of grease and gunk. I’ll post pics later of the cleaned up assembly. I need to go fishin’ for that cable.

The lollipop is the gas pedal!

View attachment 288400View attachment 288401View attachment 288402
Good thing you're rebuilding/servicing these critical components! I can't wait to see it in the driveway. You should take a photo of it in front of that beautiful tree in full blossom - that would be super cool!

Good thing you're rebuilding/servicing these critical components! I can't wait to see it in the driveway. You should take a photo of it in front of that beautiful tree in full blossom - that would be super cool!
I’ll do that for sure, even if I have to push it out there 😀

Back