Good Heater?

Hairic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Sorry if this is not the right section for this but as the title is the garage I want to know if there are any good recommendations for heaters to be used In my garage. Its getting damn cold out there and right now my little space heaters are not keeping up. Im wondering about propane... how long does a propane heater last on one tank? Or what would you recommend.

When I lived in Kansas, I had a Mr heater, 2-burner, mounted atop a 20lb tank. Fantastic heat, portable (took it on hunting trips), long burn time, adjustable heat settings.

Been too long, don't remember the numbers, but burn time can be estimated by multiplying tank size (20 lb) by btu's per lb for propane (19,000???), and dividing this by burner consumption (25,000 btu per hour???). This gives you hours of burn.

One 20 lb tank would last for extended weekend during hunting camp-outs. When I left Kansas, my hunting buddies held a lottery to see who would get it....

Buddy has one of these in his wood working shop. On a -2c (28f) day, insulated shop, it takes about 1hr to come up to 15c (60f). Hard to tell but seems good on propane usage.
Simple to hook up. Not great for painting or with cleaning fluids like gas, open flame.

You need lots of BTUs in the winter to get up to temp. To costly to heat all the time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garage-Heat...118?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25862fd30e

If considering budget electric heaters, my evaluation team gave high marks to the wallyworld 'Comfort Zone' series...

Attachments

• Evaluation.jpg
    Evaluation.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 130
Well I have a problem, My garage is not fully insulated, I really need to finish that, But i do have a heater a/c combo unit like a hotel room has but its really old and doesnt put out much heat, So a little propane one would work but i dont want to spend 60 bucks on propane a week either.

I use an electric quartz heater in my garage. The quartz element glows orange and is more about heating your body than heating the air. Yes it does raise the air temp some but as long as you stand in front of it it warms YOU up... pretty economical and safe - no open flame.

Posted via Mobile

I just use a 35 btu propane construction heater in my cycle shop and i just take the chill out of the air, but its always cold here so our definitions of cold are probably different.

Sorry if this is not the right section for this but as the title is the garage I want to know if there are any good recommendations for heaters to be used In my garage. Its getting damn cold out there and right now my little space heaters are not keeping up. Im wondering about propane... how long does a propane heater last on one tank? Or what would you recommend.
........................................hi guys in my last garage i got my hands on 2 decent size rear truck drums at a garage sale that people have i paid $10 for the 2 took them home and made myself a potbelly stove ,,,, i then went around the industrial factories and i woould regularly score 20-50 hard wood pallets ,then bang the chain saw thruogh them all and i,d have free fire wood for 2-3 weeks .. up we i did live nobody ever collected the timber pallets and companies used to leave them out on the nature strip for free .it used to heat my garage nicely it could be worth looking at doing something similar regards oldbiker

Hairic something you might consider is using plastic sheeting to make a false ceiling and drop walls to contain what heat you have. A room inside a room so to speak. It doesn't need to be fancy or permanent.
Pretty common practice with green house growers in the winter.
+1 on TwoMany's recommendation of the tank mounted Mr. Heater in the single or double burner configuration. Besides you ain't grilling nothing in the winter anyways so you won't need it for the bar b.

I have a 14-12 shed that I work in. It was -9 here last night and a single burner kept it tolerable in there. Just took an old sleeping bag and pinned it arcossed the door opening. I get about 20 hours out of a 20 pound tank. Not to bad, bea freezing my ass off lol :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Kerosene heaters are pretty safe inside, I have experience with that. Last pretty long too. Can pickup at lowes and HD I believe. I have 2 propane wall mount furnaces that are AWESOME and unvented that Im trying to get rid of. My last house in GA had no central heat or air, used two of these furnaces and kept all 2k sq feet warm and toasty.

A wood burning stove would be sweet too if you could pick one up cheap somewhere. Gets rid of some of the moisture in the air that chills you to the bone.

PM sent to you with your tracking #, off topic.

PM sent to you with your tracking #, off topic.

alright thanks man... And yeah i actually have an out door wood stove/fireplace that I built out of a 1963 air compressor that I may bring in and vent out my window for now. think is huge that's the only reason I haven't done it yet

Last edited:
That would save you some money. A little effort involved, but more money for the bike!

Theres nothing like fire to warm things up.

Insurance and building code: Garage, ANY solid fuel NO NO NO. You burn it, the insurance will NOT pay. I'm lucky, well some planning too. 2 1 car garages under the house concrete walls were poured in foam forms, DIY. Wood stove in basement open doors to garage = tolerable warm. Add the fan and it's sweat shirt comfy. My number one heat the garage tip is Something warm to stand on. Foam matts, old rubber back carpet anything to keep your feet off the concrete. #2 tip hand held hair dryer, a warm air stream where your hands are and about any temp is tolerable. Feet; nylon liners, wool socks, (not tight) shoes = warm feet. Good luck out there. I see Milwaukee Tool is selling battery powered heated coats now.....

Before I met my current wife I had a fairly well insulated 40 x 60 pole shed with an attached apartment. it was split into two sections I scored two Propane modine heaters 200,000 BTU EACH sub zero to 60F in 15 minutes. Woo hoo.

Any one have experience with a rocket stove.. do they generate alot of heat may build one if so.

O and my out door fireplace was a fail.. smoked my self out in no time at all

If considering budget electric heaters, my evaluation team gave high marks to the wallyworld 'Comfort Zone' series...

I think I can see an over-staffing situation developing there 2many ! .....:laugh:how many cats does it take to evaluate a heater ?:wink2:

I think we may be going about this from the wrong angle.
I recently bought some thermal strides and now I am toasty all the time when photographing outdoors.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• long johns.jpg
    long johns.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Evaluation.jpg
    Evaluation.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 114
Back