got a lead on a xj650... worth it?

dstroy12

Apprentice
Reaction score
Got a lead on a xj650 1981... I'm not familiar with this model. Is it worth it? Cool bike??? I told him 1200. Too much?

Thanks guys!

I sold an XJ650 in very nice shape for $1,700 a few years ago. If that helps. I put an XJ750 front end on it, painted the tank and side covers, and polished everything.

maxim01.jpg

maxim03.jpg

maxim06.jpg

maxim07.jpg

They are nice bikes ones you get the carbs cleaned and synced. I wouldn't buy one to chop if that's what you're looking to do.

wow, @_@ super clean! it also gets expensive if you wanna throw some aftermarket KN filters on there

^ I liked mine. I wouldn't pay 1700 for it and didn't think it looked the best, but it went down the road really well. They have a lot more power and are much smoother than any XS650.

A bit rich price wise, but I've owned two, and they are good bikes. My 900 was a peach, but the Turbo was an ugly sack of poo whose only endearing trait was the rush between 6000 and 9000 rpm.

hi a guy in orbost australia had a xj650 turbo,,, i first met him when i was driving out of lakes entrance,, and suddenly this red bike flew past me around the left bend passing 4 cars and out of site,,, a few weeks later i met him about my gs1000e,,,, and to my amazement yep.. he had 2 artificle legs ,,,,,and that didn,t slow him down at all ,,the bike was always reliable ,,for him regards oldbiker

nothing in terms of 80's ujm 4cyl performance.

the other half....if you have no eye sight they might be okay. Another one of the Japanese weird as hell bike styles from the 80's...weird easy rider look. You can guess my opinion on XS650 specials since i don't like these.

The 650 Seca was the best looking in my opinion. The 900 motor would fit in too.

900 crank and rods drop into a 650 Turbo bottom end....you can see where that's going....

Best example of the breed I ever saw was a 650 Seca with a liquid cooled Maxim X motor shoe-horned into it. (Then he should have put the Turbo bits on it, 20 valve liquid cooled turbo....).

seca-x.jpg

Last edited:
81 xj650j maxim (nonturbo) we have had a barn find we picked up last year all i did was clean the carbs and new tires plus forkseals and had no issues i think its a good no hassle bike, put many miles on it so far, only problem is that the sight glass for the front master cyclinder rotted and is leaking. i got a friend in Austin that like em but hates shaft drive. oh and cleaned the gas tank.....
BY THE WAY THIS ONE IS FORSALE

THE ONE IN THE BACK

full

full

Back