Gotta love Fords

My brother-in-law has an 05 F250 5.4, the farthest back plug on the drivers side snapped off, Any tips to getting one out? Or will we have to pull a head?

hey!! since we're talking ford trucks here and it sounds like a couple of ford techs are chiming in. what's up with this? i've a '96 4.0 ranger automatic trans that intermittently stalls. it was popping a vacuum line off the block on the manifold. i zip tied it and ran fine. then it started popping off the same line but at the other end (top of motor towards front). but anyway. it seems the line is filling with oil which is causing the stall. it'll run fine for many miles then BAM pop the line and stall. let it sit for 1/2 hour before it'll start and then it'll run for a couple miles or a hundred miles. i haven't driven it in a couple years because of this. any ideas?? anyone? anyone?

effin' 4.0s... sounds like an intake valve is sticking open, and popping back thru the intake. Needs a valve job.

fst2013.jpg

Here's my Ford. Had it since last Feb, has about 15000mi on it without skipping a beat. The only other Ford before this was a 95 Ranger, which I affectionately called whitey.

no, that's usually due to excessive blowby

sounds like the whole engine would need a rebuild

would need some base engine diagnostics and a tear-down & measure to be sure

Completely stock while under warranty, but it won't take much work to push it up to 270hp. Not the quickest car around, but it's fun around corners and feels fast.

Completely stock while under warranty, but it won't take much work to push it up to 270hp. Not the quickest car around, but it's fun around corners and feels fast.

I have been thinking of getting a forged piston made for this motor. I haven't seen any yet and with the on slot of aftermarket goodies hitting the market, turbos, etc. I think this may be something the more hardcore enthusiast might be looking for... to prevent the situation I described in an earlier post. The rest of the motor is pretty tough, nice rod design, crank is cast but main girdle looks beefy.

I was researching network communication and security issues and came across this:

During CES 2014, Jim Farley, Ford's Executive VP of Global Marketing Sales said, "We know everyone who breaks the law, we know when you're doing it. We have GPS in your car, so we know what you're doing. By the way we don't supply that data to anyone."

Jim Farley's statement came as a shock to many consumers who are unaware of the data being collected and stored. Clearly informing users about data collection and how that data will be managed is going to become one of the great challenges facing the IoT.

So, you drive a Ford? :wtf:

This is my blue oval baby.... still in progress... 1961 Unibody, 292 Y-block, Offenhauser intake, 3 polished Ford 94's, Y-280-I-07 Cam, 40 over pistons, high ratio rockers, Red's headers, full 2" exh with Smithy muffs, boxed and smoothed the frame from one side of the bellhousing crossmember to the other, with the fuel line frenching into the frame, from the crossmember back the inside of the rails were undercoated, every outside unused bolt hole filled and smoothed, painted with epoxy primer and acrylic enamel Chrome Yellow, over 200 hours in just the frame:eek:, EMP proof dual point dizzy, 70,000v chrome coil, Dana 60 3.54 LSD, drilled front straight axle, 4" monoleaf dropped springs, relocated fuel filler to hinged taillight :)D), '70 mustang fuel tank, hood latch relocated to pressable turn sig lamp, shaved emblems (except door handles and Custom Cab logos), eventually a tremec 5 speed. Also got a '35 Ford pu on a courier chassis with a 4.0 Range Rover alum V8, and a '67 short box with a 460 + C6 and shift kit....... oh and a '90 F350 ex Uhaul 12' box (enclosed bike transporter:)), and finally an '88 chevy (chity:laugh:) with 407,000mi on 3 engines (currently a '79 350 with the '88 injection) and 5 trannies (F**KIN' Getrag 5 speed:banghead:). Gotta have a bitch rig, I can't beat the Fords too much:). And no, none of my rigs communicate with any satellites or roadside transponders.:)

Attachments

• 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 172
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 178
I was researching network communication and security issues and came across this:

During CES 2014, Jim Farley, Ford's Executive VP of Global Marketing Sales said, "We know everyone who breaks the law, we know when you're doing it. We have GPS in your car, so we know what you're doing. By the way we don't supply that data to anyone."

Jim Farley's statement came as a shock to many consumers who are unaware of the data being collected and stored. Clearly informing users about data collection and how that data will be managed is going to become one of the great challenges facing the IoT.

So, you drive a Ford? :wtf:

not new; GM admitted the same over a decade ago, in reference to OnStar

What's really eff'ed up is the data stored in the airbag diagnostic monitor; every tangible bit of data to be used as evidence in a criminal trial, and it can only be accessed by specialized computers in the possession of NHTSA

When I worked at Ford, we were aware that the company did possess a few of the machines, simply for development of the monitors, but we did not have authority to access anything other than test components

Get ready for STHTF with the next gen of vehicle telemetry and collision avoidance; I've already seen the sensor package to determine "Operator Status"!

Infrared body temp sensors, "ambient air quality" sensors (used to detect alcohol vapor!), SitA (Situational Awareness) sensors - microwatt broadbeam IR emitters and camera, used to measure whether the drivers eyes are open, and where they are looking

This isn't SciFi folks, its already in the pipeline; my guess is somewhere between 2020 and 2025 when these devices go live in our new cars

...What's really eff'ed up is the data stored in the airbag diagnostic monitor; every tangible bit of data to be used as evidence in a criminal trial, and it can only be accessed by specialized computers in the possession of NHTSA

When I worked at Ford, we were aware that the company did possess a few of the machines, simply for development of the monitors, but we did not have authority to access anything other than test components...

Is this the Event Data Monitor (EDM) that's used in crash court?

"292 Y-block,"

I remember those things. The 292 was perfect for that block. The 272 versions were dogs, the 312's cracked blocks. I always liked the rope seal on the rear main, It could be packed up tight & more added without having to take off anything but the oil pan and rear main cap. Not a great rod, but a damn good truck engine.

I also like that I can change all the main and rod bearings without removing the crank too! If I wanted more, I would have stuck a big block in. I'm going for nostalgia. How many of these do you see anymore (not covered with 50 years of baked on oil:))? Especially with polished functional port matched tri-power. With the front motor mount and bellhousing mounts there are no obstructions, crossmember, extra frame bracketry getting in the way. Sure cleans it up! In '56 they produced both a 292, and 312 with ECZ block castings. I got my hands on a 292 ECZ block and had a 312 crank machined down so the mains fit the smaller journals, undercut rod journals, chromoly H-beam con rods, forged 10:1 pistons, and the whole thing is balanced to 7K.:D

Here's my Ford. 94' 5 liter, 5 speed GT, motor is lightly modded. Twenty years old this year, 35,000 miles, only gets out for an annual drive to Sonoma CA to check out the wine harvest. Fun to run. The GT and the SR are best friends.

roy

Attachments

• 6-2-12 SR&Mustang 044.jpg
    6-2-12 SR&Mustang 044.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 182
Here's my Ford. 94' 5 liter, 5 speed GT, motor is lightly modded. Twenty years old this year, 35,000 miles, only gets out for an annual drive to Sonoma CA to check out the wine harvest. Fun to run. The GT and the SR are best friends.

roy

Nice! My old man has a car exactly like that. I think like 20K miles on it. Obviously, doesn't drive it much just like you. Just rubs it down with a diaper (Ferris Bueller :))

Back