H4 headlights vs sealed beam

Downer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What's better to have and does the h4 need any special wiring or is it the same as the sealed beam? I need a new headlight and don't know what one is better? Thanx

I prefer the H-4 with the separate bulb. It may cost a little more initially but if it ever burns out, replacing just the bulb is cheap compared to buying a complete sealed beam. You don't need any special wiring, they just plug in like the original.

Cool thanx 5twins is the h4 any better in brightness compared to the sealed beam? Is the h4 pulling less voltage compared to sealed pros or cons to either?

I concur. I found a same size H-4 reflector assembly and bulb holder, snapped it in like it was a sealed beam and installed the H-4 bulb (use a towel, skin oil ruins the bulb). installed the rubber cover and plugged it in like a sealed beam, and ride off into the night. 55/60 watt max. Anything higher and your begging to blow your chargeing system.

The H-4 bulb is much brighter than the stock sealed beam. The H6064 round headlight bulb from Wally World is a better sealed beam.
The H-4 can put extra load on the system. Clean and tighten the connectors and clean the switches will minimize the draw.
Swapping the tail/brake light and turn signal bulbs to LED's will help. This compensates for the extra draw of the headlight.
I have the Candle Power headlight. It's a new reflector that fits just like the stock bulb and uses the H-4 bulb.
The reflector is made so more of the light is aimed out front than out to the edges, not so much goes to light the tree tops and your toes.
On the low beam it has a spot up and to the right, this spot lights up the road side better than just a regular low beam. Helps to see people and animals.
I'll post a pic to show this. Even throwed in a pic of the bulb and the box it comes in.
I paid $39 or $49 for it in 04, might cost more now.

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_65039376.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_65039376.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 350
  • LostFile_JPG_65098032.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_65098032.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 329
xjwmx, thats a good price, even having to buy a bulb. Bulbs can be bought most anywhere.
Leo

It tends to be a touchy topic sometimes because of a difference in the beam pattern on cars, but I have installed an H4 HID light into my H4 housing on my 76 Honda CB550F. Talk about a difference in brightness and being visible. I have never had a problem with anyone flashing me for blinding them. Somehow the housing that I've bought focuses the light downward. I absolutely love it, and it fixed my charging problem on the bike because the HID takes much less Wattage to run. Figured I'd share that :) My XS isn't even wired yet to run, but it already has a ballast between the neck gussets and and HID bulb in the sportster headlight. It fit perfectly with no room to spare :)

Well I'm looking at two on eBay they are both bates style one is h4 and one is sealed beam so hid is something you can add to an h4 I'm guessing or do you need the hid unit to run the h4 I'm a little confused?

To run HID, you need to have an H4 lens so you can replace the halogen bulb for the HID. A sealed beam won't allow you to do that, so I would suggest that if you want to run this eventually, that you grab a headlight with an H4 lens. I ended up buying a used headlight from a Sportster for my XS. (Sportsters and most other HDs run H4s) You just have to make sure that the actual housing is deep enough to accept the HID bulb because the bulb is a little longer and has wire leads going to it. (The HID has a little motor that flicks the bulb up and down for low and high beam.) It will look something like this:

I've bought my 2 kits from these guys: www.v-leds.com and they have really come down in price. I paid $100 a year ago for my Honda, and $40 for my XS a month ago.

Otherwise, the HID setup is a whole separate system from your stock lighting with it's own harness and relay, but uses your stock headlight socket (what your halogen bulb plugs into) as a trigger and a switch for hi/lo. So basically, you run this harness from your battery to the ballast then to the headlight, and still get to operate it from your stock switch for high and low beam. Usually about an hour or 2 install.

I ended up getting the bright white 5000K bulb, because it offers the best visibility. The further up you go in the light spectrum (the blue etc) the less light is being reflected off of objects. Plus you don't look like some cheezy rice-racer Honda with a headlight out :D

Hope that helps. Maybe after my build is done I will do a write up on this.

Fo shizz... Let me know if you have any more questions. The lens I run on the Honda is a Delta glass housing like this one. I think it is a 7 inch on that bike, but I'm sure they make them in any size. I think my XS is a 5.25in.

delta_h4_conversion.jpg

It's a 5 3/4 classic style bottom mount for hd from bkrider off eBay if anyone is interested not sure how to post pics thanx again

I bought a 68 LED H4 BULB from Hong Kong by way of Singapore for $1.98 with free shipping from EBay. I though for 2 bucks I'll give it a shot. No, it's not SAE approved or Dept of Transportation approved. I really don't care as I never ride at night. I just wanted a quick way to unload the electrical system. It works GREAT has that weird BMW blue look, with almost no load on the alternator.

I went to Ebay and looked around. You can get the LED h4 bulb with from 18 to 120 leds.
The 120 led H4 is $4 19 + $5.99 s/h for two bulbs. I may get those. I have two XS650's They sound like a good idea. Bright and low current draw.
I do ride at night, so it needs to work well in the dark.
Leo

Back