Hand me down Canadian XS650 build

Being a fellow Calgarian and SAIT Alumni I could not help myself but subscribe! This bike has many features that I would like on my bike once I get into it this winter.

Great looking build!

Hey Jay, no not at all anymore. Although, the motorcycle maintenance courses do sound like something I should probably look into.

Lookin forward to seeing your bike completed!

Always a good day when a package from Hugh arrives

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 218
Things are coming along fairly drama free. Assembled clutch, installed a PMA system from Hugh and started installing my big bore pistons and jug today.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(2).jpg
    FullSizeRender(2).jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_461555130.jpg
    IMG_461555130.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 203
Finally finished the cylinder head. Valves seated, new Viton valve seals and RD valve springs. Hopefully get the rest of the engine buttoned up and into the frame over the coming long weekend. Started piecing together the odds and ends I was missing to get the electrical box and wiring on the go.

Attachments

• IMG_8584.JPG
    IMG_8584.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_8583.JPG
    IMG_8583.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_8581.JPG
    IMG_8581.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_8580.JPG
    IMG_8580.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 199
Well she's 95% complete. Discovered a crack in one of the points cover housings, new one on its way (thanks Gary). Once that arrives just need to finish the pamco and she's done.
Looking forward to getting this lump back in the frame

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 225
Wow dude, that engine looks proper. Much better than the oil encrusted ones I have in my rides. I guess this is what it looks like when someone with actual mechanical knowledge builds one of these. Great job!

If you get it running next spring you should come out for bike night. A guy who builds bikes out of his garage called Ill-Fated Kustoms does a ride every Wednesday. Lots of xs650's and other old jap bikes. Really great people, no egos, just guys (and girls!) ripping around on what they built.

Cheers man, I won't lie this rebuild has been full of lots of leaning. I would have been lost without a great site like this. Other than a few top end rebuilds on dirt bikes this is my first full rebuild on a bike engine. I've rebuilt a bunch of bimmer engines in my years so I guess the skills translate somewhat, but these are unique in their own way.

And thanks for the heads up on the local bike night, that sounds like something I would enjoy:)

I really hope to have this tuned and on the road by next spring, time will tell I guess

Adding a couple pictures describing how I installed my timing chain master link. Not having access to a proper tool for dealing with the rivets I picked up a cheapo nut splitter from princess auto. I used a grinder to open up one side of the splitter to allow access over over the chain. Using a needle nose vice grip to hold the plate in place (not too tight, just enough to keep it in place) then used the nut splitter to squish the end of the rivet. Swapped the vice grip to the other side and then squished the remaining rivet, worked a charm.

Attachments

• IMG_8619.JPG
    IMG_8619.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_8618.JPG
    IMG_8618.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 204
Back