HARD TAIL guys.. Give a brotha some help. Rear axle inside plate measurments???

RatyXS

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
For the life of me i do not know wtf us going on. Took the wheel off to make new fender struts, a brace, now its like the rear end shrunk( I know I know). I can not get the wheel back in the bike, this is how the spacer looks.. I dunno wtf is going on here.. What are some of the measurements you all have from inside axle plates? I am really feeling like a fukn moron.. All the bearings seem to be seated, but I will be dammed if the wheel, and right side spacer will go back in... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 92
Hey, Raty, just did the google search "axle+plate+measurement" and over 50 threads popped up. Many different numbers in there, so you'll have to choose...

The stock measurement is about 8 1/4 inches. This leaves a bit if room to help ease putting the wheel back in.
Measure the width of your wheel. With the bake plate and spacers. Your axle plates inside dimension should be a tad wider.
I assume you welded on the struts and brace. This creates a lot of heat that can distort the frame.
If your measurement of the frame is a but narrow use a small hydraulic bottle jack to "jack" the axle plates apart. Jack them enough so they are a bit over what you need then release the jack. measure, repeat as need to get the measurement.
Leo

So thanks all for posting.. APPARENTLY the previous owner had problems with getting bearings and spacers in the correct place. After all other things were looked at. Pulled the wheel apart, I'll be dammed if the one spacer wasn't in the wrong place.. I never had the wheel off, for what ever reason the stuff came off the bike with no issue. He had to play hell because I know I did trying to get it going in the way it was. Changed that stuff around, checked to make sure the bearings were ok, sure enough it went in with very little effort..

Back