Harley single fire 3 ohm coil for 277 Pamco?

rwingsfan,

OK. Well, I think you have proven that the coils are ok. Here are a few suggestions;

1. Advance springs are too tight. Advance occurs late, so engine is sluggish until the advance finally catches up at a high RPM. Check with a timing light. Advance should go to max at 3,000 RPM.
2. Advance springs are too loose. Advance happens too soon and the engine doesn't run right until the RPM's catch up to the advance. Check with a timing light. Advance should NOT go to max before 3,000 RPM.
3. You may still have an electrical problem. Check the voltage at the coils with the engine running and all electrics on. Should be just a bit less than battery voltage, like, 13 to 14 Volts at 2,000 RPM.
4. If you have vacuum barbs, make sure they are either connected to the pet cocks or blocked off.
5. Air leaks in the carb holders.
6. Bad gas?

Hugh will probably be here soon with some more ideas, but try the above and report back if they don't help.

Pete,
At Hugh's suggestion I rechecked timing and here is what I found. I had to find TDC again and mark my rotor (pma) Well timing was off. I rotated the pamco all the way to the right trying to get to the F box. It got a lot closer and runs better, but still act like it could go farther, but there is no adjustment left. Carbs were checked with propane for leaks, checked good. I am having some other electrical gremlins, but I have been running the ignition stuff straight off another battery for testing. Any other ideas? Thanks

rwingsfan,

OK. Well, I think you have proven that the coils are ok. Here are a few suggestions;

1. Advance springs are too tight. Advance occurs late, so engine is sluggish until the advance finally catches up at a high RPM. Check with a timing light. Advance should go to max at 3,000 RPM.
2. Advance springs are too loose. Advance happens too soon and the engine doesn't run right until the RPM's catch up to the advance. Check with a timing light. Advance should NOT go to max before 3,000 RPM.
3. You may still have an electrical problem. Check the voltage at the coils with the engine running and all electrics on. Should be just a bit less than battery voltage, like, 13 to 14 Volts at 2,000 RPM.
4. If you have vacuum barbs, make sure they are either connected to the pet cocks or blocked off.
5. Air leaks in the carb holders.
6. Bad gas?

Hugh will probably be here soon with some more ideas, but try the above and report back if they don't help.

I still don't get it, I had that thing running great on the stand :banghead:

Gotta be an air/fuel mixture issue. Bring it to me, and we'll get it sorted out... :laugh: It is only 975 miles one way.

Re: tinned wire. Tinning wire makes it more brittle and yes I am running a hotrod 750 motor with cr500 rods in a race bike ( when I lose because of an ef yes I got upset) either way untinned wire is in many bikes which are 40 + years old. It seems that many strands bend and move about much easier then 1 single strand (which is what tinning produces) and please correct me if I am wrong.

Also Pete my fullest apologies for the hot headed comments that I left! I think it great that your a pioneer with these old machines. My respects!!!!

Back