Has anybody ever seen a plug do this?

alex f

Anything xs
Reaction score
This plug looks half burnt and half spotless. No tanish color. One sides burnt, the others shiny metal. My other cylinder is spot on with a slight tan color. This was taken after a day of riding yesterday.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 186
Hi alex,
that's a new one, for me anyway. A definite WTF? moment. I have no idea what'd do that.
What I'd try is wire-brushing both plugs, putting each back in the other hole and going for another day's ride.
Check the plugs when you get back. If the same plug is funny looking after running the other cylinder, replace it.
If the suspect plug looks OK and the other one now looks funny, rent a borescope to shove down the plug hole and look around.

Agreed - that is a very odd looking plug indeed. Did the bike run OK?

difficult to see from the image but it looks oiled up to me ? :) the clean bare bit might have had some manufacturers rust preventive coating on it

Ive got no clue lol. Switch them up and check them later i guess? Well see in about 2 hours.

I've seen that. Inlet fuel wash...
Rough translation; That carb is pouring gas in the cylinder full time. tell us a bit more about your bike?
with the oil on the other half, tic tic tic.......
IMHO This is not a fix it later kind a of thing.
Have you smelled your (engine's) dip stick?

100 -105 ish pounds of compression
Bs34 carbs stock jetting
Tci ignition
Stock exhaust
Pretty much stock everything
It was givin to me in pieces about 4 months ago. Its been running like this since i put it together.

Pull the carbs, remove the float needles and seats expect a bad o-ring in there. Typical BS34 problem.
Also a bad petcock diaphragm can let gas get sucked straight into the LH intake through the vacuum barb.

Pull the carbs, remove the float needles and seats expect a bad o-ring in there. Typical BS34 problem.
Also a bad petcock diaphragm can let gas get sucked straight into the LH intake through the vacuum barb.
I dont have a diaphram in my petcock i dont think. Will check carbs tho.

yep I've seen that'en...too many times ! over zellous carb USUALLY... sometimes just bad sparkplug ,the shiney black says carb though !!!!!
....was that cylinder running ? (doesn't look like it !) and what side was it on ?
....Bob........

I dont have a diaphram in my petcock i dont think. Will check carbs tho.
Hi alex,
the BS34 carbs and TCI in the description in your post#10 sez your bike is 1980 or newer.
That bike's stock petcock is vacuum operated and it does have a diaphragm in it.
Use the search button to see how to fix that petcock so it's manually operated and don't need that diaphragm no more

Hi alex,
the BS34 carbs and TCI in the description in your post#10 sez your bike is 1980 or newer.
That bike's stock petcock is vacuum operated and it does have a diaphragm in it.
Use the search button to see how to fix that petcock so it's manually operated and don't need that diaphragm no more
It came with a earlier tank that had a dual set up. My petcock is not stock.

yep I've seen that'en...too many times ! over zellous carb USUALLY... sometimes just bad sparkplug ,the shiney black says carb though !!!!!
....was that cylinder running ? (doesn't look like it !) and what side was it on ?
....Bob........
Left side. Ive been having issues with that side specifically. After the rebuild i was getting 50 psi compressed on that side. After valve adjustments im sitting at 100 in both which i understand to be poor but ok. The rights plug however looks ideal. Light Tannish brown.

Left side. Ive been having issues with that side specifically. After the rebuild i was getting 50 psi compressed on that side. After valve adjustments im sitting at 100 in both which i understand to be poor but ok. The rights plug however looks ideal. Light Tannish brown.
Also i get cold exhaust in the left until i put some throttle to it. But also with the throttle comes smoke. I believe it to be oil?

Back