Has anyone done a wiring video?

rusty rocket

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
As the title says has anyone done this? Ive looked at wiring diagrams but I cant wrap my head around them. If I can see something done then I usually get it. Its like voodoo.

Great idea, I am much more "visual" when it comes to doing things. Dont' get me wrong, I really appreciate the diagrams people have drawn up but I like to see the coils, etc in front of me and someone actually plugging the wire into another, etc.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I agree with the idea of videos and have mentioned it many times before. I would like to see a lower end video myself. There are members here who seem to have a vast amount of engine building, wiring experience etc. and could do a very informative video. Carbon is mainly the only one who has picked up on the idea of videos and has made some very good videos in the past but haven't seen anything recent. I enjoy them very much when he does do one.
jefft

By the way, are videos a good learning tool as opposed to just pictures? Well its the method motorcycle mechanics schools utilize. Videos are the method MMI teaches its students to acquire what Harley calls PHD before they graduate. The PHD certification is attained solely by watching a video followed by a test until the entire series is completed and is something a lot of dealership wants there prospective mechanics to have upon graduation.
jefft

By the way, are videos a good learning tool as opposed to just pictures? Well its the method motorcycle mechanics schools utilize. Videos are the method MMI teaches its students to acquire what Harley calls PHD before they graduate. The PHD certification is attained solely by watching a video followed by a test until the entire series is completed and is something a lot of dealership wants there prospective mechanics to have upon graduation.
jefft
Either way would work for me I am a visual person seeing a picture or a video would make things click.

Same here on the visual. I think most people are. Maybe the guru's are photophobic. LOL. I would do it myself but I'm far from a guru but you can read the posts here and you know there are more than a few known engine builders and electrical wizards. Videos are much more entertaining than just reading and trying to imagine what someone is talking about. An engine rebuilding video for instance might encourage people who are on the fence about a rephrase.

jefft

took me ages to understand and be able to trace the wiring on a semantic and relate it to the bike. At times my brain would seize up and, so i would leave it for a few days and when i went back to it things made more sense.

jefft, You have been around long enough now to be able to do a tutorial with pics, If you started it you wouldn't want for help or input. You have 100 posts up so use the feature that is designed for exactly this sort of thing.

Why rely on the gurus to do every thing, we all benefit from the site, so putting something back is a reward in its self, and you will learn something along the way

Point taken but I'm talking about a video not pictures. There are guys here who have talked about how many times they have done an engine lower end. I never been into one myself. I noticed you have 4 times as many posts as I do. You ever been into a bottom end?
jefft

more often than not i will post a link or help direct someone to the information they need. Done a couple of info posts and tutorial. Some useless info in my album if you want to look.

To much reliance on the gurus at times, (not claiming to be a guru), and not enough research. I have found videos to be difficult to learn from because of the relation where the information is and the practical work.

With a write up and pics, they can be printed out and used on the job for reference and diagnosing problems.

Most vids i have seen the camera holder doesn't know how to pan properly so the visual effect is very poor, and important reference points can easily be lost.

here is a collection of links to good info on wiring.

1;
2;
3;
4;
5;
6;
7;
8;
9;
10;

I know there are no vids but some one may look in this thread and find the info helpful.
I bookmark anything that has merit

Ok but I respectively disagree with your view on videos. I have watched every video Carbon had done and found them all very informative. I have heard other members here also show the desire for videos. The videos that Carbon did were all clear enough to easily see and hear the material he was presenting. After all were not going for an academy award here. Maybe we do rely on the gurus too much but who elso could make a video and convey the most amount of info other than someone with the most experience. Some of these guys here build engines for a living. Just my 2 cents.
jefft

Last edited:
Back