Heiden tuning 750 kit

chrispunk

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone got me ch experience with the Heiden tuning 750 big bore kit? I bought one the other day. Went to put it together and theyr forgotten to put the rings in. They're good guys so sent a set out.

Rings Turned up yesterday, fitted them and event to put on the barrel but it seems overly stiff. all new hardware so didn't check the the ring gap before I stared so pulled it apart. Only had time to check one top ring but the gaps .15mm and I think it should be .2mm?

Also does this marking seem excessive? I've emailed heidens but don't think I'll hear back until Monday.

Oh I also just noticed the piston box say 79.95mm but the ring box says 80mm. Could that be an issue?

Cheers

When fitting rings in the cylinder you should always check the end gap ....it's just Prudent !
put the rings in the cylinder push them to the center with the piston, and measure the end gap with a feeler gauge in a go - no-go manor (the widest one that will fit in the gap ! ) you can file the ring ends to get the proper setting. the kit should have the proper end gap specifications for those rings , but they may NOT already be set for it... so you gott'a check !
Bob........

The ring box probably indicates the bore size they're intended for. The piston box would be the piston size, which is always slightly smaller than the bore. And the .05mm difference between the 2 seems about right. That's about .002".

When fitting rings in the cylinder you should always check the end gap ....it's just Prudent !
put the rings in the cylinder push them to the center with the piston, and measure the end gap with a feeler gauge in a go - no-go manor (the widest one that will fit in the gap ! ) you can file the ring ends to get the proper setting. the kit should have the proper end gap specifications for those rings , but they may NOT already be set for it... so you gott'a check !
Bob........

Gez Bob a bit aggressive and abusive. give a new member a break............ He has,already stated he didn't check the ring gaps at first, now he has, and after measuring is asking for advice if the gap is right...........not asking for a dressing down...............

Granted... and your right ! I shouldn't have been so aggressive, like you are all the time ...do you get MY point ?
Bob.........

Granted... and your right ! I shouldn't have been so aggressive, like you are all the time ...do you get MY point ?
Bob.........

You keep attacking me, saying no one wants me around, complaining the mods won't do any thing, about me, swearing at me. I couldn't care less about the forum members who know me................. All the new members see are repeated complaints from you about me, and statements how i am always abusing other members, how i am always aggressive, ................Why.......... because it doesn't conform with your idea how the site should police conversations or run the site..........which you have publicly stated, and publicly stated you intend to hound me till i conform to your idea on how i am to present my self on the way you want the site to run

What gives you, Bob, the right to try to influence new members about my input, on how they are to respond to my input based on your ideas, about the intent of my posts, and how they are to interpret my posts based on your say-so............

For any new member, please i invite you to my profile page, look up any posts, and at the bottom of the post page there is an option to look at all threads crated by members, check them out.............make up your own minds........who is here to help.

Last edited:
You still don't get it do you Skull !
well at least your Pissing at me instead of a new member so stuff it !
Bob.....

Hey guys, so I except I should have checked the gaps. Luckily for me I (hopefully)realised my mistake before it did any real damage.

I've not heard back from Heiden, they're generally pretty good at responding but technically they're only open thur-sat so it's a bit soon to grumble.

The problem that leaves me with is what should my ring gaps be? The barrels are 80mm bore and labelled "h.t design xs performance"

Also the gap is way tighter on the inside edge then the outside, shouldn't the gap ends be paralel?

Thanks

This one?

Attachments

• IMG_8504.PNG
    IMG_8504.PNG
    379.6 KB · Views: 242
Yes, that's it. The factory published ring gap value for the stock 75mm XS650 is 0.2mm - 0.4mm (0.008" - 0.016"). The 0.3mm gap for the 750 kit is in the middle of that range, appropriately larger than the original 0.2mm minimum, due to larger bore, and the likelyhood of aggressive riding.

And, yes, the gap edges should be parallel...

Wiseco does recommend the 2nd ring's gap be slightly larger than the top one. They say it helps reduce top ring flutter or lifting.

thanks for your help guys, please have a look at my build thread im sure i'll have loads more questions.

Back