heidens hyd clutch

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
any body used deidens hyd clutch ,if so whats the verdicts on both fitting it and using ,is it worth the money ?

Hi,

I looked at it but decided to go with another solution - http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43512&page=2

I want to make this bike have a hydraulic clutch. Looking around the appears to be two ways of accomplishing this. The first using a slave cylinder effectively in place of the cable and actuating on the clutch worm mechanism. The second uses a slave cylinder directly bolted to the case, acting directly on the clutch push rod. I favour the second method for two reasons. One, it looks better in my opinion. Two, it acts directly onto push rod, rather than through a worm mechanism.

A couple of others on this forum have written about this. I believe it was Osteoderm and Ipytatto. They used an Aprillia slave cylinder and modified the piston retaining part. I had a Rotax slave cylinder, which appeared to be very similar

681DD684-7664-49DC-9DED-2792BE815E8F_zpsg5q2k8ur.jpg

4BF100D1-EAB6-4DA0-B308-B6236D354969_zpshywhxy5b.jpg

I cut the "legs" off the piston retainer

08AF8E5F-D82E-4E91-B3AF-9E31A25B0A0D_zpsognbyjqq.jpg

Then machined it down my a millimetre or so to fit into the existing clutch adjustment aperture

C5BF8FD6-DBE9-482F-83B2-BCC5BAA3DEDB_zpshfzqnhow.jpg

94670D83-BEF1-4C33-BD88-EDE6F81F2AF3_zpsfqhxhtxu.jpg

It's then simple to transfer the bolt centres onto the casing

C1FBB246-CC7A-41AE-BD1B-3A90BBFD671D_zpsmoljupbo.jpg

Then drill, tap and bolt on

C06CD864-7B42-4B2C-B05B-4895BBD518AA_zpszkhpv05v.jpg

This setup means the actuating surface on the push rod is further out than using the stock cable clutch. A brief measurement comparing the original to the hydraulic, shows around 45mm difference, so it looks like a redesigned, longer push rod is required. Once I get the engine builds ill be able to work out the lengths more exactly.

thanks paul good info ,already have 1 of ipttatto,s kits which havnt fitted yet ,but having more than 1 bike was intrested in heidens version as well , as did the maths and price wise very close to buying all the parts and doing myself , as heidens have them cheaper /on special than last time I looked at them (eg .our labour costs to get hyd hoses made up are incredible or anything else as well)......has anybody used the heidens

well bit the bullet and ordered heidens hyd clutch ,heres hoping its worth it ,comes with a short push rod but says will operate on a 21mm long rod ,anyone know the length of the 1 piece rod as would be perferable to the original 2 piece rod

ippy changed the length to 300mm for his set up also opps... reread heidens email and it says system is for a short type rod (supplied) or you have to modify it yourself and make a rod 21 mm longer (?? meaning a 2 piece rod with ball bearing as original??? with 1 short 1 supplied )

Back