Help a newbie on a road trip!

Greetings from Sandusky Ohio! I started out yesterday afternoon from Woodstock IL and made it to Elkhart IN with many stops for coffee, gas, to pee, rest... Tonight I stop at a friend's place in Cleveland and tomorrow I'll go to State College PA. I'm taking the interstate all the way. Boring, yes, but I don't have time for sight seeing, gotta be in Brooklyn Thursday night to see my daughter. I'll post pics if anyone cares and if I figure out how

You get a big ATA BOY!!!!! for giving it a go. :thumbsup:

I don't like riding a bike on Interstates but.... have to agree 100% with Mr Pete about it being the best choice in your situation (a bike that is new and unknown to you).

I don't do GPS either but to each his or her own. I do the printed ( in LARGE print) instructions on the tank bag with a map for back up and always check where I am in the world during my stops....so I know what's coming up.

I'm planning a "longish" trip soon on my 650B...a little over 1500 miles doing 2 lane roads all the way.....can't wait.

PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!! yea......it didn't happen without photos :laugh:

Good luck and please keep us posted.........Gordon in NC

1975 XS650B dead stock runner
1975 XS650B pile-o-parts with the stuck pistons STILL soaking

Today I had some small, I hope, issues. I checked the oil and it seemed a little low, although I was confused about whether to screw the dip stick in or not when measuring. I added half a quart of Walmart 20W50 motorcycle oil in the AM. During the ride I did some up and down shifting without the clutch cause sometimes I do. Is that bad?
About 200 miles in it starts falling out of 5th into that false neutral that happens sometimes. I call it "super neutral". My '80 does it between 4th and 3rd, sometimes if I hit a bump or sometimes whenever. I also noticed some oil splashes on my right leg near my foot but not too much. Seems to be some slight oil leakage at the engine near the tach cable, maybe some leakage from the head gasket but not crazy. I generally ride for an hour at a time, keeping it around 3500-4000RPM doing 75-80mph with the occasional burst to 90-100 Is that too hard?
I would take more pics but my phone is full and the iPad is cumbersome but if you wanna see the leaks I'll be happy to show y'all.
Thanks to all for your interest and concern!

You get a big ATA BOY!!!!! for giving it a go. :thumbsup:

I was fully prepared to chicken out and ship it but the extra $800-$1000 would've made the bike WAY more than it's worth. I already hit the high end of the scale with the purchase price so if it can't make it 900 miles I definitely paid too much. We'll see...

If y'all knew how I'm rolling you'd be appalled, so I'll tell you!
No tool kit (no skills so why bother?)
No rain gear (vintage leather yes)
No gas can. I bought one and returned it when I decided to stay on the interstate.
No money in the bank. I have my company Amex in case of disaster though.

My friends that live in State College are away but they hooked me up with a friend of theirs and I arrived just in time for a nice steak dinner on the patio with a bunch of Penn State professors, all ladiies. I just nod and pretend I know what they're talking about. I kinda do but not enough to truly join the conversation. Yep, this Greece thing is messed up.

Do you like good music? This is what I do: http://sharonjonesandthedapkings.com
10 points to the first one that guesses which one is me. :thumbsup:

I

you're the blonde with glasses yes ?:laugh: just kiddin...
i reckon you're the laid back guy with the guitar sitting at the front .:laugh:

Fantastic trip :thumbsup:.....amazing experience. I'm not sure my nerves could take living on the edge like that these days. i'd want a back up bike maintenance truck behind me.

I

i reckon you're the laid-back guy with the guitar sitting right at the front .:laugh:

Fantastic trip :thumbsup:.....amazing experience. I'm not sure my nerves could take living on the edge like that these days. i'd want a back up bike maintenance truck behind me.

No tool kit (no skills so why bother?)
No rain gear (vintage leather yes)
No gas can. I bought one and returned it when I decided to stay on the interstate.
No money in the bank. I have my company Amex in case of disaster though.

:thumbsup:

Okay.....I think it would be REALLY cool if you were/are the black lady with the beautiful voice.

No tools......no skills......yea but sometimes just a dual screwdriver and a small adjustable wrench will come in handy.

No rain gear.....to tell the truth unless you spend a BUNCH.....you can still get wet with rain gear.....so as long as the temps aren't to low....no big deal

No gas can??????? that's why the bike has a reserve

No money????? you are not alone with that one.....for sure.

NOW........Good Lord man.........you're beating the crap out of that poor thing 75-80 with short runs up to 90-100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If that poor thing stops pissing oil on you......THEN I'd get worried. :)

Have fun......I figure you're almost home by now......good luck and PHOTOS damnit :)

Sitting on the edge of his seat in North Carolina

Gordon

I agree with Pete! Not fun but safer and surer way of getting home. You can have adventures after you get it home and sorted out, if required.

Speaking about losing GPS. I had "fun" and stranded for about 4 hours two years ago 200 miles from home with My Buell where there was no cell or GPS signal! Of course this was the only time that I had ever lost GPS like that. Lots of bikes just cruised on by. Only help I got was from two couples on Goldwing trikes and tow locals in pickup trucks.

i reckon you're the laid-back guy with the guitar sitting right at the front .:laugh:

Oh I didn't realize that pic was on our front page, that's Sharon with the Tedeschi Trucks Band and Doyle Bramhall II. I'm in the Dap Kings, none of us are in that pic.

BTW, I asked Derek if he rode, he said "I'm not allowed to ride motorcycles, I was in the Allman Brothers' Band for 10 years". I wasn't surprised.

Back on topic, I think I'll change the oil in Walmart's parking lot before I get going today. I do know how to do that.

Apparently you posting the link has exceeded the bandwidth for the site so I can't see the pictures. . .
But I'd say you are Bugaloo Velez.

You might want to try O'Reillys or Auto Zone for the oil change. They have loaner tools and maybe some place to dispose of the oil. Check with the dipstick resting on top, not screwed in.

Much better to change oil before you go at shop and take a quart with you. You don't want to deal with an oil change in transit.

Yeah, don't dump it in the Walmart parking lot!

Oh I didn't realize that pic was on our front page, that's Sharon with the Tedeschi Trucks Band and Doyle Bramhall II. I'm in the Dap Kings, none of us are in that pic.

In this album cover? OK, you're the one in the red turtleneck...

i-learned-the-hard-way.png

Back