Help Me Evaluate This XS

XSJoel

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So I am looking at buying an XS project. The guy who has it now actually beat me to it when it was for sale before. He wants to sell everything for $475. Here are the pictures of what is included. What do yall think it's worth? Bike has no title, guy says I can get a bonded title.

5G25P65M63Kb3G53Mdbcr7c9978f239b91612.jpg

5Gc5K95Fe3I33M93L4bcr04b6bcc6d0751e16.jpg

5I55K85R23K33Le3H4bcre7ac60649da516e9.jpg

5I85Fa5Me3Gb3If3J6bcr0b144a89b9fd1370.jpg

I am not really into selling parts, but I would do it if there is enough parts to make it worth buying. Looks like 2 sets of heads, 2 cranks, 2 carbs, a set or two of jugs, a cam and other little stuff. Let me know what yall think the parts are worth. Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I haven't seen it in person, but the previous owner told me the motor has compression and isn't missing anything, but I don't think it runs.

XSJoel, I just went through the bonded title process. It's pretty simple actually. If you need help just let me know.

If you sold all those parts and the bike as parts too I think you'd make a killing. But if you want to keep the bike as a project, how complicated it is to title it depends entirely on your state.

I am in the same state as ippy. And ippy, I am gonna PM you right now. Bill, you got it on the cranks, but I am thinking of taking the cam and one crank and sending them to be rephased for myself. So may only be one crank.

Neither, I talked to the guy last night at 9PM and someone came after that and bought it. So I couldn't be bragging, because the bike was bought out from under me again. The first time was a few days ago when the original owner wanted $150 for the bike. I was genuinely asking though, not sure what these parts were worth.

Yeah if it's a deal and it's advertised it's also a race.
Craigslist story; Sunday I see an ad for a nice, complete if a little neglected all stock 77, great price. I'm late to the party the ad was posted the previous night. Business number, answering machine, so I leave my info and think about it. I started calling at 7:45 AM Monday morning, sure enough catch him walking in the door and buy it sight unseen at 7:55. Throw the ramp in the van and head out. When I got there the guy says "I checked my answering machine there must have been 15 messages on there wanting to buy the bike. But you committed to come get it first so it's yours." (Grin) Still have that 77 and just got the tank and side covers back from the painter in the original Maxy Maroon with the decals clearcoated in. It's gonna look REAL nice. Hopefully it will be my ride to the spring Slimy crud run.

77tank fresh paint (800x436).jpg

End story, keep looking they're out there, you never know that one may pop up again.

What a catch. I got one for you:

A while back, I got "fired" from one of the nation's largest banks. Well, I got a large 401k and started buying and selling motorcycles on craigslist. Not a big operation, flipped 2 bikes for some nice change. But I digress. Catch an ad for a 1 owner 1981 XS650 with under 9k miles that runs but only on one cylinder. $500. I must have caught the ad pretty quick. Went and looked at it, sure enough, older well to do guy bought the bike new and just doesn't ride it anymore. Pretty much everything is original except the tires. Fires up, running on one cylinder. While I was talking to him his phone must have rung 4 times with people calling about the bike. Bought it on the spot. And all it needed was the carbs cleaned.

I have put much more into it since, but man I really lucked out on that one.

^^^no time for hesitating these days, the XS just seems to be getting more and more popular for some reason. Sucks that it got bought out from under you twice now... maybe third time's a charm?

gggGary, that tank looks beautiful!

My best was the '81 Honda CM200T I got. I saw it pop up on CL, called, went over and got it for $75.00. Runs perfect, beautiful bike and 4K on the clock. (Pic in my albums) I got a parts bike, minus the frame, from him for another $50.00. I was, luckilly, the first caller. When I was loading it his phone was blowing up. Ya gotta move quick on them.

Yeah, I had a 2002 Kawasaki ZX6R that I got like that. Guy says I called within a minute of him posting it. Had been dropped on both sides, but plastics were intact, just scuffed. 42K miles but ran like a top, got it for $900, put on tires and sold it for $2700.

Any time you see a pile like that for 1,000 or under i would jump on it. I answered an add for Kawasaki Z1/KZ parts from Craigslist. He said first one that gets here can have it all, just take it. I was selling parts on E-bay for two years.

Wow. If I had known the guy would have let me come over right then and look, I would have. I drove 2 hours one night at 11 PM, arrived at 1 AM to buy a 2003 Suzuki SV1000S with lots of mods for $1700, so I am always ready to go.

Ok guys, so I am back, but instead of starting a new thread, I am just going to add on to this one. So I got screwed on the street tracker project, but I have a new lead that I should be picking up tomorrow at 10 am. Guy says he bought it, it ran and drove but smoked bad. Has a new Pamco ignition, solo seat and bars of some sort as well as all the other parts, bike is complete. Here goes. Tell me what yall think!

5If5K35Hd3F93L73Jebcsceb8efd51c391c88.jpg

5N45Gc5V33Kc3M83Hdbcsa2d1d5181e691f71.jpg

5Ne5G15M63L23F73N3bcs7f42e19cfa061323.jpg

5Ib5Gc5P53G23J33Hbbcs899ebc2afbb1154c.jpg

I know the pics suck, but you get the idea. I am planning a rephase, PMA, powdercoating the frame and tank among other things and running with it.

Back